Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2013 7:10:50 PM EDT
i have a new RC IV and i hate the new primer catch cup that is on it and i want to know if the
old style horseshoe cup will fit it? the new Y cup is a major pain in my ass to remove and
sometimes when im trying to pull it out to dump it will jerk up and throw primers all over.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry, just to lazy to take a pic of my Y cup and dont have the other one to take a pic of.
thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]

You could just build a better one out of kydex like I did.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree, the Y primer catch is a royal pain in my ass. Always pops off hard enough to throw primers all over the floor. Guess I could just use my shop-vac to clean the damn thing out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
MPD444 can you post some nice close up pictures or email them to me?
and what is kydex? some sort of hard plastic?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Kydex is a hard plastic that is moldable when heated, and keeps shape when cool.   Its commonly used in holsters and knife sheaths.  You can get it here
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41&osCsid=r624h8cemjuclfiuco0a8q51k7
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
those photos are awesome, thanks!
what thickness kydex did you go with?

and can anyone answer my original question please?
can the old style horseshoe cup fit a new Rock Chucker Supreme press?

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the newer style "Y" primer catcher on my Rock Chucker. I slid a piece of styrofoam behind it like you did with wood, no issues. Occasionally a primer will pop out of the priming arm hole, but I don't have any issues taking it off and spilling primers everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
i just still want to know if the old cups work or not cause they just sit there and are easy to remove.

i might have to grind the little nubs off my Y catcher as they are whats hanging up when i try to pull it out to empty.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i just still want to know if the old cups work or not cause they just sit there and are easy to remove.

i might have to grind the little nubs off my Y catcher as they are whats hanging up when i try to pull it out to empty.

Don't grind them off, just sand them down a hair at a time until they are snug yet easy to remove
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have the newer style "Y" primer catcher on my Rock Chucker. I slid a piece of styrofoam behind it like you did with wood, no issues. Occasionally a primer will pop out of the priming arm hole,.....

I did this too, and worked better than stock.

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I got these for dedicated decapping:
Lee Reloader Single Stage Press and Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die.
I also got the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press. The thighmaster may also come in handy as a portable press.

A bonus is that the Rock Chucker is much cleaner
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#14]
i do like that lee single stage press and its pretty cheap, something to think about. but i wonder where the primers go? do they funnel out the other side?

i know im new to reloading but i dont understand how a universal depriming die works? it must just taper in and holds the outside of case and a rod
goes down through and pops the primer? unlike my sizing/depriming die that pops the primer and sizes the case.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i do like that lee single stage press and its pretty cheap, something to think about. but i wonder where the primers go? do they funnel out the other side?

They catch in the base of the press, then dump them after a 100 or so....

i know im new to reloading but i dont understand how a universal depriming die works? it must just taper in and holds the outside of case and a rod
goes down through and pops the primer? unlike my sizing/depriming die that pops the primer and sizes the case.

A rod just pops out the primers. They are not supposed to break (but I have had some stubborn crimps).

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i see that little hole where the primer would drop down the ram and into that hole.
is there a little tray sitting in that base or do you have to dig out the primers?

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i see that little hole where the primer would drop down the ram and into that hole.
is there a little tray sitting in that base or do you have to dig out the primers?

I use 2/3 nuts and bolts to secure the press to a small piece of plywood, and undo them to lift off and empty. Plywood is clamped to my bench. Not much pressure involved
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
so that press has a little cavity inside and it needs to be dumped out? thats a PITA
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#19]

still wanting to know if anytone has tried an old catcher with the new press, would really like to see a picture before i call into rcbs and wait to talk with someone.
or get some plastic ordered to make my own.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#20]

i talked with a lady at rcbs tech to see if i can put the old horseshoe catcher on a new press that take the Y catcher and she said it wouldnt work, so that really sucks!
this new catcher has to be the dumbest design EVER!!! (tech lady even said it sucked) so i bought some kydex sheets and will cut them up, glue and bend them into some type of primer catcher and hopefully it will work good.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#21]
DEFCAD has a new design that can be 3D printed.

http://defcad.org/rock-chucker-deprimer-tray-replacement/

And I completely agree with you. The primer catch tray on the supreme is terrible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DEFCAD has a new design that can be 3D printed.

http://defcad.org/rock-chucker-deprimer-tray-replacement/

And I completely agree with you. The primer catch tray on the supreme is terrible.

thats a pretty cool design and would be fun to try out cept i dont have a 3D printer.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I stick a shop vac in my Y-cup. Cleans it right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
IM sent but I don't see it in my sent messages.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IM sent but I don't see it in my sent messages.

in order for a sent message to be saved in your sent message box you need to check the box right above the submit button.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top