Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2013 6:11:42 AM EDT
I have always sized new brass but I always read Lapua is the cream of the crop.  I'm wondering if it is really needed prior to loading it up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Lapua brass exclusively for 1000 yard competition.  I use their .308 Palma and .260 Remington brass.

I have sized some new brass before use, and skipped the sizing on some other batches.  I have noticed no difference at the target associated with either practice.  

However, after firing once and then neck sizing, the rounds get more consistent than when new.

Conclusion:  Size, or don't size, doesn't seem to matter in my experience.  Once (or more) fired brass is better for precision loads than brand new brass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a long bumpy ride from Finland to your loading bench.   Lapua is the best, but even the best can get dinged and dented necks during shipping.  I at least neck size all New brass including Lapua.  Once  the case mouths are all nice and round I chamfer , deburr and uniform the primer pockets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two boxes of their .223 match brass, and haven't found the need to size any of the brass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Never sized a single one of the 1000 case batch I got.  I had zero problems shooting loading/shooting them.  Surprisingly I had no dented case mouths.  But for safety you should always resize new brass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's a long bumpy ride from Finland to your loading bench.   Lapua is the best, but even the best can get dinged and dented necks during shipping.  I at least neck size all New brass including Lapua.  Once  the case mouths are all nice and round I chamfer , deburr and uniform the primer pockets.

I run all of my brass through the same process.   New or used
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Always FL resize new brass.  It does not matter what brand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushing bump neck size at a minimum.

dc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Try a few. If it runs through the die very easily than it is good.

My experiance is that some of the new brass will be okay and some will benefit from a run through. I do that for all the new brass I use too.

If you are competition loading you should do the same thing for each round which means resizing them all new so when you RE-load they are the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top