Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 4:38:25 AM EDT
A retired Gunny from the Marine team just told me NOT todiscount Wolf primers as he has heard that David Tubb and a foew other hot shit shooters are using them with good results.

That is all.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
which Wolf primers specifically, there's 4 Small Rifle types.  Then theres SP, LR, LP, Shotshell.

So far I'm lovin' their shotshell primers
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Somebody just point me to where I can buy 5,000 Sm Rifle Primers from Wolf and I'll buy um...right fuckin' NOW!   ARGH!

ETA: Well Hell, I'm tired of waiting on the 'Merican-Made, specifically the CCI No.41s, so I just ordered 5K of the WOLF Performance Small Rifle Magnum Primers from AmmunitionStore:LINK  

After my order they have 63 boxes of 1K remaining, and 17 boxes of the Small Rifle Stnd.

So I pointed myself there after remembering the mention from another member in a previous thread.  A bit pricy, but I confirmed their inventory count with a phone call and they're only 7-9 days behind on shipping.  And still not Gunbroker butt-hurt pricing!

That was my last 'hole to fill' in primers...Hell yeah...Nap time...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A retired Gunny from the Marine team just told me NOT todiscount Wolf primers as he has heard that David Tubb and a foew other hot shit shooters are using them with good results.

That is all.

David Tubb did indeed use "Russian primers" - though I believe:

1) for consistency, he opted to buy an entire PALLET of primers at one time because they all came from ONE lot and

2) the particular primers were LARGE RIFLE, not the current variations of small rifle Wolf and

3) this was some years ago when the primers FIRST became available from a Russian state aresenal;  these days, the Russians are cranking out mostly SMALL RIFLE primers with an eye mostly on making $$$$ - so it is a big assumption that they are of equal quality as the pallet of large rifle primers Tubb bought a few years ago.

BUT - I am not against the use of current Russian primers. Not at all.

The current primers are 1) probably as good as US commercial primers and 2) of good enough quality that 99.9% of shooters won't be able to distinguish a deficiency in them - if there is any at all.

Buy with confidence.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Somebody just point me to where I can buy 5,000 Sm Rifle Primers from Wolf and I'll buy um...right fuckin' NOW!   ARGH!

ETA: Well Hell, I'm tired of waiting on the 'Merican-Made, specifically the CCI No.41s, so I just ordered 5K of the WOLF Performance Small Rifle Magnum Primers from AmmunitionStore:LINK  

After my order they have 63 boxes of 1K remaining, and 17 boxes of the Small Rifle Stnd.

So I pointed myself there after remembering the mention from another member in a previous thread.  A bit pricy, but I confirmed their inventory count with a phone call and they're only 7-9 days behind on shipping.  And still not Gunbroker butt-hurt pricing!

$39/k?!?!  

Less than a month ago I got 25k Tula AR primers for $20.50/k from PVI....   (Tula and Wolf are the same thing, made in the same factory, BTW).
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
heck 2 months ago wedners was selling the wolf srm primers for 14.50 1k and lets just say i stocked up   :-)
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
heck 2 months ago wedners was selling the wolf srm primers for 14.50 1k and lets just say i stocked up   :-)

Man..  And I thought I did pretty well on those Tulas!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I know a few guys using wolf with excellent results.  I wish I had bought some when Wideners had them so cheap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$39/k?!?!  

Less than a month ago I got 25k Tula AR primers for $20.50/k from PVI....   (Tula and Wolf are the same thing, made in the same factory, BTW).

Yea I guess I really did get butt-hurt on that deal, but Small Rifle Primers was the one place I got caught short, and I was tired of hunting for a deal and waiting.

I haven't had to buy any ammo at the insane prices, so I'm OK I guess...

I needed a nap...

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I ordered 10k from them - glad I did!

Just got a shipping notification from Powder Valley. My 10k LP and 10k SP Wolf / Tula primers are on their way!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
my experience with wolf primers has been very, very good and I have been using them since they were introduced on the market a few years ago.  about a year ago I bought 85,000 wolf primers from a dealer going out of business.  Most were LR, but there were a few thousand of the SR, SRM, SP and LP also.  I have had no worse exeriences or results with these primers than any other primers on the market.  Most of the time you get what you pay for, but in the case of wolf primers you get a very good bargain indeed!!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
True.  A lot of benchresters have had good luck with the SRMs for some time.  Even lowered the SD on some loads, for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had very good experiences with Wolf/Tula primers.  Consistent, accuract and the price (used to be) right...

On a somewhat related subject... Anyone here ever stop and think how unbelievable it would have been 20 or 30 years ago that we'd be loading Yugoslavian, Lithuanian and Serbian brass with Russian primers?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a mostly favorable opinion of the Wolf / Tula components.

Like another poster above me stated, who would have figured?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Think quite a few of us stocked up on that go around Tried to get a couple guys a work to go in and share the hazmat but they passed and are sure kicking themselfs now
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Big +1 I did the same

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top