Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2013 3:41:43 PM EDT
A few years ago I bought 6,000 once fired military brass and I'm starting to process the brass.

Sorting through the brass I find a percentage have case mouth damage. Some of them look like it would need me to straighten the case mouths out with a dowel or something in order to start reloading, some of them look like they'd probably go right into the sizing die and come out just fine.

But at what point is the damage TOO much.

I've picked out a good mix of some of the brass that was damaged. Some of the brass is the worst of the bunch some of the brass was pretty basic.

Can you all look through these three pictures and tell me which brass you'd process and which you'd cull.

Also I have to brag about this... my 8 year old daughter absolutely loves to sort brass.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
From pic 1 I wouldn't do #1,6 &10
From pic 2 I wouldn't do # 4,6,8,9,10
From pic 3 I wouldn't do # 1,3,4,6,7,9

I use a phillips head screwdriver and get them close to round and have at it.  Use the shaft of the screwdriver.Anything creased or bent down towards the primer I toss.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
pic 2 #4 is scrap.
pic 3 #7 is scrap.

All the rest, I'd at least try to reload.  You'd be surprised.

I use a round shaft philips head screwdriver and just gently rock it around until I can fit the mouth over the decapping pin in my universal decapping die.  Then tumble, and process as normal.

Some of the others in the pics may not be salvagable, but the only two I'd cull on sight are the ones I listed above.

Basic rule for me is as long as the mouth isn't folded over on itself (like the one in pic 2) or there's not a sharp crimp (like the one in pic 3), then I try to open the mouth back up.  Sometimes, the mouth/neck splits.  9 times out of 10 it opens fine.  Just be gentle-ish.  Not a whole lot of force is required to get them "roundish" again.

After you polish them, trim them, and resize them, you won't be able to even tell which ones they were.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Hahaha..screwdrivers for the win
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
some will straighten out just from the expander ball.  You can use a center punch to straighten the other ones.  'flash has a pic of what tool to use
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd use a center punch or screwdriver to straighten out all the case mouths, and inspect again.  

Chances are, all would be usable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Right now their all good a year from now I'd toss pic 2 #4  pic 3 #7
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd use a center punch or screwdriver to straighten out all the case mouths, and inspect again.  

Chances are, all would be usable.

This

I can't stand to throw out brass that I could possibly use.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
pic 2 #4 is scrap.
pic 3 #7 is scrap.

I use a round shaft philips head screwdriver and just gently rock it around until I can fit the mouth over the decapping pin in my universal decapping die.  Then tumble, and process as normal.

Some of the others in the pics may not be salvagable, but the only two I'd cull on sight are the ones I listed above.

Basic rule for me is as long as the mouth isn't folded over on itself (like the one in pic 2) or there's not a sharp crimp (like the one in pic 3), then I try to open the mouth back up.  Sometimes, the mouth/neck splits.  9 times out of 10 it opens fine.  Just be gentle-ish.  Not a whole lot of force is required to get them "roundish" again.

After you polish them, trim them, and resize them, you won't be able to even tell which ones they were.

Completely agree.  I went through a bunch yesterday that looked like those and pic 2, #4 and pic 3, #7 probably won't work out - but even those, I'd see if you can round them out a bit with a round punch and give it a try.  If it doesn't work, you'll know right after you try to resize them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't toss those bad ones out.

Save em for .300 Blackouts.

Cut off the damaged part+trim to length+Size in .300 blackout die= usable brass again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cut off the damaged part+trim to length+Size in .300 blackout die= usable brass again.

Hey, there's an awesome idea!  I hadn't considered it because I don't have a blackout, but yes, DEFINITELY.

OP - you should sort through all your brass.  Any of the ones that look like scrap on sight, AND any of the ones you crack the neck/mouth on trying to open back up, don't scrap them.  Throw them all in a box.  When you get to the end of the 6000, count them up, then list them in the classifieds.  Guys needing host brass for 300 blackout will buy it!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a nail set to straighten out case mouths.  It's pretty easy to do and the result will tell you if you can use the case or not.  Particularly sharp creases in the brass are Bad, but none of those look that sharp.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

some will straighten out just from the expander ball.  You can use a center punch to straighten the other ones.  'flash has a pic of what tool to use

Exactly, unless its totally jacked up I go ahead and size it to see if it straightens out or not. I would attempt all but about 3 of those you posted.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Right now their all good a year from now I'd toss pic 2 #4  pic 3 #7

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you all for helping me out. My daughter and I will start sorting the brass tomorrow.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, there's an awesome idea!  I hadn't considered it because I don't have a blackout, but yes, DEFINITELY.

OP - you should sort through all your brass.  Any of the ones that look like scrap on sight, AND any of the ones you crack the neck/mouth on trying to open back up, don't scrap them.  Throw them all in a box.  When you get to the end of the 6000, count them up, then list them in the classifieds.  Guys needing host brass for 300 blackout will buy it!!

I hadn't thought of that either. I will do this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also use them to make 7.62x25 cases.  Could also 300 Blackout cases with neck splits for the same purpose.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
4 on 2 and maybe 7 on 3.

The rest should iron out OK.  Get an awl or the closed jaws of needle nose pliers and run it around the inside of the neck before sizing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Pic 2 #4
pic 3 #7

Are probably no good due to the crease, the rest I would load.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Cases/P3200038.jpg

Most of your cases will get fixed by the sizing die, for the bad ones I use a center punch.

I need that!

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd straighten with my round punch and size them all. Then I'd inspect them all and only toss ones that didn't size correctly. I've no problems or issues with cases like in your pics.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
pic 2 #4 is scrap.
pic 3 #7 is scrap.

Basic rule for me is as long as the mouth isn't folded over on itself (like the one in pic 2) or there's not a sharp crimp (like the one in pic 3), then I try to open the mouth back up.  .

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say, but now I don't have to.

Fold = no good,  the rest are likely (90%) salvageable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I use an expander mandrel from Sinclair.   You can work them round again very easily just holding the mandrel with your fingers.   Creases are a problem but the mandrel will round it out.   Sometimes messed up parts of the mouth can be trimmed away if the case needs trimming or if it grows after sizing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Agree.
Something like a K&M Expand Mandrel will run most of those dented necks back to a condition close enough to go right back to your normal dies.

http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/new-products/exp_mandrel_wind_riser_NP.html

These are very good to have around for precision work. I had sets of mandrels made up in 0.0005" steps to be able to expand necks to fit pilots on various tools.
You tend to find a way to process without them once the brass is prepped well, but they have many uses like fixing those crushed necks at other times.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use a nail set to straighten out case mouths.  It's pretty easy to do and the result will tell you if you can use the case or not.  Particularly sharp creases in the brass are Bad, but none of those look that sharp.

This
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I use needle nose pliers. I insert the closed pliers into the case mouth. With the pliers you have the option of spreading them open to pinpoint dented areas and they are tapered like a tapered punch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+1
Looks like they could all be resized and loaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top