Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2012 3:57:32 PM EDT
I was just reading a discussion here about primers, and it reminded me of something I saw a few years ago.  A guy on the range had his AR-15 opened up, and
I noticed something covering the trigger assembly.  I asked him what the heck it was and he said something like a "trigger rug" or some such.  Said it would protect against a blown primer falling down into the lower receiver, and jamming the trigger.  I didn't know the guy, so I figured I'd pestered him enough, and left it at that!  But now that I will be doing some serious 5.56 loading, it sounds like a good idea to have one.  Anyone know off-hand what they are called, do they really work, and where I might buy a few?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you use good brass (not loose primer pockets) and stay within the safe limits with your reloads you won't need it.

But if you want the extra insurance here is where you can get it:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/DPMS-Receiver-Rug-Molded_p_1675.html
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Snake oil, just like the accuwedge, but if you want one...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/970550/dpms-molded-receiver-rug-ar-15-mil-spec-trigger-rubber-red

enjoy
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!  I know launching primers won't be a problem with military surplus ammo.  But when I am using cases with multiple firings, with significant, but not crazy loads, I am a little concerned about loose pockets.  That being said, I have never had a primer go flying off a case, but I would hate for that to happen when I really needed to depend on the weapon.......
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  I know launching primers won't be a problem with military surplus ammo.  But when I am using cases with multiple firings, with significant, but not crazy loads, I am a little concerned about loose pockets.  That being said, I have never had a primer go flying off a case, but I would hate for that to happen when I really needed to depend on the weapon.......

The extra stuff placed inside the reciever will break down over time. When a chunk of it falls into the trigger group, you will get a malfunction.

On a weapon for serious use, I would not run either of the rug rug or accuwedge. Now if it is a range tool for punching paper, it will not be such a serious matter so no problem in running the stuff. On a side issue, if the primer does pop out, it has to go somewhere, maybe even the barrel extension.

Check the rubber after shooting and look for stuff cracking or peeling away. I have a buffer insert inside a Marlin Camp Carbine and need to do the same thing.

Good luck sir.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a accuwedge in the rifle we built from parts. It may or may not help with accuracy but it did stop the annoying slop (as little as it is) as did the "0" ring around the front lug trick.

I'm not sure I would want to put something in around the fire control parts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I use a accuwedge in the rifle we built from parts. It may or may not help with accuracy but it did stop the annoying slop (as little as it is) as did the "0" ring around the front lug trick.

I'm not sure I would want to put something in around the fire control parts.

I agree. Accu-wedge kicks a$$

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Had that happen with some wolf I was shooting years ago..About a 5 minute fix and no damage.
If you shoot alot you will encounter quality problems with all surplus.Just the way it is.
That was the last straw that got me into reloading-I blame it all on wolf!!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Rugs and wedeges - solutions in search of a real problem. Maybe 5 minutes to pull a TCG out of a AR and shake it out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top