Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 6:30:28 AM EDT
How much trouble can I expect to run in to with mixed lots of LC .223 brass.  I have everything from 98 up to 11.  Can I load it all the same without worries about case capacity, or do I need to sort it?  This is for general blasting, minute of zombie ammo,,,55g FMJ and 55g SP...not looking for match accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#1]
For general blasting, nothing to worry about. Load em' and go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For general blasting, nothing to worry about. Load em' and go.

+1
Only exception I could offer is if you are pushing the load to the absolute max.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I load about 12K 55gr blasting ammo a year and separate HS.

With LC I load them all but then separate the years into batches for shooting.

It may matter little but it certainly can not hurt as slight differences year to year particularly say 10 years different are reduced by shooting in batches of one year.
That said my more recent loading had like 2K 2011, 500 2010, 1K 09 etc etc so for me it makes sense

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Alrighty then...I'm a loadin'...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I think someone once indicated there are multiple forming dies at Lake City, and probably any other large ammunition manufacturer. This would mean that there may be SMALL differences in brass even from the same year. Lake City used to be pretty consistent, most of mine is '06 or earlier. For the record I DO sort by make and year- I use the smaller quantity/oddball stuff for shooting, and save the larger quantity stuff for "Come the Day" (getting here quick!!!????).

Sorting brass and processing seperately will save you a lot of headaches as it will remove variables, which then simplify troubleshooting a problem. There is a large variation in case head thickness among the different types encountered, which will affect primer crimp swaging and can create subsequent primer installation problems.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
There is amazing little difference in .223 brass.

For example, BHA's blue box ammo is loaded in a combination of military and civilian brass and it's still very accurate ammo in their 55 gr FMJs load and even more accurate in the 52 grain match load.  

When that light bulb went off, I stopped sorting .223 brass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]

For example, BHA's blue box ammo is loaded in a combination of military and civilian brass and it's still very accurate ammo in their 55 gr FMJs load and even more accurate in the 52 grain match load.  

I used to buy lots of the stuff (close to the factory, white box available, at under $10 per box prices, etc) and I did some testing in a very accurate (1/4 MOA) rifle and found no statistical difference in sorted versus unsorted samples from the same production lots.  The differences between even commercial and military cases just did not make a difference, let alone any difference between years in LC cases.  

When that light bulb went off, I stopped sorting .223 brass for my own loading purposes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think someone once indicated there are multiple forming dies at Lake City, and probably any other large ammunition manufacturer.

correct. this forming process is common to more than just ammunition.

there may be 6 dies in a complete set to form a case. when I did forming this way i changed out dies that needed it. not the whole set.
i checked each separate die in the process so that the final product was in spec at the final stage.

you wont find anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I load everything from TW 68 to LC 09 with a mild powder charge

with no problem using a 55 grain pro jo with good results, informal

target and plinking load.

sdshooter.....................
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is amazing little difference in MOST 223 brass. I have seen a few oddball head stamps that had radically different case volume. I threw them out. If you are on a single stage setup, throw a trays worth and use a flashlight to look in them. The level will all look close to the same. On the brass that was way off, it was easy to see the level was different too. For standard usa commercial and mil cases, in 7000+ i have not found any that differ significantly.... So just load em up.......
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
IMO - unless you are sorting by case capacity it is a waste of time.
Measure some for yourself and you will find that the capacity variance of brass sorted by head stamp/year is no better than the variance of unsorted brass.
At least that’s what I found with LC, RP, PMC, and Fiocchi.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You will find out the difference if you swage primer pockets. A friend swaged mixed brass and occasionally had priming problems- he set the problem brass aside and guess what? It was all the same headstamp. Using a reamer eliminates that problem as it is not affected by case head thickness.

Also- for the guys exploring MK 262 clone loads, etc. that run up/past SAAMI pressure limits, sorting brass should not be optional.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is amazing little difference in MOST 223 brass. I have seen a few oddball head stamps that had radically different case volume. I threw them out. If you are on a single stage setup, throw a trays worth and use a flashlight to look in them. The level will all look close to the same. On the brass that was way off, it was easy to see the level was different too. For standard usa commercial and mil cases, in 7000+ i have not found any that differ significantly.... So just load em up.......
I'll concede there can be some oddball head stamps, but I avoid them anyway.

Quoted:
IMO - unless you are sorting by case capacity it is a waste of time.
Measure some for yourself and you will find that the capacity variance of brass sorted by head stamp/year is no better than the variance of unsorted brass.
At least that’s what I found with LC, RP, PMC, and Fiocchi.

Absolutely.  That's consistent with what I found when sorting and hand prepping brass for uber accurate loads. In .223....

.308 is an entirely different animal.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#15]
The only thing you MIGHT find is that they are not annealed the same.
You will get split neck on a peticular year, but not others.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You will find out the difference if you swage primer pockets. A friend swaged mixed brass and occasionally had priming problems- he set the problem brass aside and guess what? It was all the same headstamp. Using a reamer eliminates that problem as it is not affected by case head thickness.

Also- for the guys exploring MK 262 clone loads, etc. that run up/past SAAMI pressure limits, sorting brass should not be optional.

Was the problem brass LC from different years, or other MFG's?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone can have quaility control problems, and about everyone

has had a batch or so of cases that have had premature neck splits.

sdshooter.........
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as weight and length (for once-fired brass) are concerned, my measurements yielded no statistically significant difference by year from early 90's to today. Your data may vary, but mine was clear enough for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the problem brass LC from different years, or other MFG's?

Other manufacturer. The WCC I have run across has thicker heads than LC. I think one or 2 years of LC was known for occasionally having off-centered primer flash holes. I had some 308  LC that did have that problem- it was a small quantity out of a batch.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top