Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2012 8:34:03 PM EDT
Getting into reloading after shooting an avg of a case every 4 trips to the range. I've been recommended a Dillon Square Deal B for pistols only. I personally shoot 9mm the most, then .40 for the night stand/BUG second, and occasionally .223 but will be getting reloads from a friend who's upgrading from a Lee to a Dillon 550/650 in a month or so. Anyone able to tell me any pro/con or thoughts about the Square Deal B besides a really odd name for a press.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Getting into reloading after shooting an avg of a case every 4 trips to the range. I've been recommended a Dillon Square Deal B for pistols only. I personally shoot 9mm the most, then .40 for the night stand/BUG second, and occasionally .223 but will be getting reloads from a friend who's upgrading from a Lee to a Dillon 550/650 in a month or so. Anyone able to tell me any pro/con or thoughts about the Square Deal B besides a really odd name for a press.

I'm currently researching to purchase my first progressive press.  I quickly dropped this one as a possibility as it does not use standard dies from what I understand.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have square deal B and has been great little press. I got it in.45 and have never done a caliber conversion.
I also have a 550 that I use for 9/223.

This set up keeps me from having to change from larger primers to small primers all the time. Not that it's hard I'm just lazy. I make very few changes on the .45 due to the load I shoot in IDPA / and USPSA is the same.  Everyone in awhile ill shoot CDP and gave to drop in a few more grains to make power factors.

If you want one press for a do all the I would spend the extra money on the 550. I picked mine up used about 10 years a go for almost nothing  I have noe clue the number of rounds I have made over the years but that are over 100k and never any real problems.

If you were only going to load one caliber on the Sauare Deal B theninwould say go for  it but from your statement I think the better deal for you will be the 550.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The Square Deal B is a solid and reliable progressive press. I have been using one for 38/357 & 9mm since 1995, been a good performer.

Once set up, you can easily pump out accurate reloads. Switching caliber set up is easy as well.

It is money well spent as long as you want only handgun caliber reloads.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If I could do it over again I would buy the square deal B instead of the 550 which I currently have. I only reload 9mm on my 550 so it's kind of pointless for me to not have a square deal. I guess it's nice that I can reload rifle if I wanted to but I don't want too.

If you plan on reloading just 1-2 pistol calibers the square deal would be a great press for you.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Be nice to have a dedicated SDB for every pistol caliber. 550 and 650 tool heads float, SDB doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Be nice to have a dedicated SDB for every pistol caliber. 550 and 650 tool heads float, SDB doesn't.

I agree.  An SDB in each of your most used caliber would be ideal !!!

I used an SDB for many years and it was a great press.  Turns out lots of ammo in short order.  The one time a connector broke on the press, Dillon had a replacement at my door the next day.  You can't beat that.

There are after market tool heads from Inline Fabrication that are CNC machined and anchored that stop tool head float in its tracks (for 550 and 650).
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two SDBs. One set up for small primer, and the other for large primer. If you want high volume pistol rounds, then you can't go wrong with the SDB. It is a true progressive press, unlike the 550. The shell plate turns automatically with each stroke of the handle on the SDB. Where as on the 550, you have to turn the shell plate manually. Also the SDB has a better spent primer disposal system, than the 550.

The only downsides for the SDB are the proprietary dies, and straight walled pistol rounds only. But that doesn't bother me as, I like Dillon dies, and I don't shoot 357 sig

GlockMonk
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The SDB  was my introduction into progressive presses nearly 25 years ago. It is a great little press. Since then I picked up a few 650s and a 1050. The SDB still gets used on a regular basis. Before the SDB I used a Lyman All American.

I don't find that using the propriety dies as  distressing as others do I guess.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I also have two SDs but you could also buy a second primer feed so that you would have one for small and one for large primers.
Swapping between calibers doesn't really take much time on the SD, the primer without a second primer feed could be a bit
of a pain.

Whenever we get into this discussion of Square deal vs any other full sized press many folks forget that the SD was designed for
short pistol cartridges and the leverage,size and length of the operating handle are also sized and planned out to give you only the leverage
you need to size a 45acp or a 357 case. The leverage that say a Rockchucker has to allow it to size a 338 lapua magnum is just wasted moition
when you are trying to crank out a bucket of 9mm.

The Dillion SD is just a very slick deal.
I load about 8 pistol calibers on my dillon although 90% is 45acp,9mm or 38. I do several rifle calibers on a single stage, this doesn't amount to more than 500 rounds a year. Most of my 5.56 is ball that I can't bring myself to bother reloading with what I can buy case lots for.If I was shooting more rifle I guess I would go for the 650 ( and still do pistol on my SDs)but with the way I shoot it doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Back when I was shooting Cowboy Action stuff in .45lc I bought a SDB and it was the bomb.  I tried Lee turret pressess in years past when I was shooting PPC and IPSC.  The SDB is hands down much better quality.  As stated before, the SDB is primarily for handgun stuff but you can load .223 on it also if memory serves.  I think that is the only rifle cartridge you can do on them however.  I stopped reloading about 5 years ago and sold my press to a friend who shoots IDPA and he still uses it today.  If I were to reload again, the SDB is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been reloading 40 on one since 2003.  I love the press and hope you enjoy yours if you get it.  No problems with it and I bought mine used. Dillon even refitted it with up to date parts for free all I had to do was ship it to them.  Best customer service around.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]
does any body sell them for less than the 379 on dillons website?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 SD's, 38-357 mag,44 sp-44 mag, and 45ACP... they work great... I bought these back in the days where they were fairly cheap and still are a good buy...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Price is set by Dillon. If you're patient, used ones come up often on EE.

GlockMonk

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Reloading is . . . . well, it can become a sickness.  Many of us don't know whether we reload to shoot or shoot to reload.  

All kidding aside, I'd recommend against getting the Square Deal because it used proprietary Dillon dies and it only will do popular pistol calibers.  You're money ahead getting a 550B and a spare primer assy so you can swap out from large to small primers in under 30 seconds with it.  The 550B uses industry standard 7/8" dies and there are caliber conversion kits for almost every caliber made, both pistol and rifle.  If down the road you decide to do rifle calibers, you don't have to buy a new press.  

Further, when you decide upgrade to a 650 with casefeeder (a God send when processing larger quantities of brass or just because you're sick of interrupting your rhythm to pick up each case) you'll be able to use many of the parts from your 550B on your 650 such as dies, roller handle, strong mount, pickup tubes, wrenches, etc. and those you can't use, you can easily sell as a package with your 550B.  Remember, it's not the most popular progressive press in the world for no reason.

Some people say that because the 550B isn't auto advance, that it's easier to learn on one.  Also, it's pretty easy to use it like a single stage press as you're learning so you only have to do one step at a time to begin with.  Before you get a 550B, check out this link: Cheap Tips and Tricks For Dillon 550B and XL650s.  It has some money and time savings tips and tricks to help you with your setup.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I had SDB for a decade.  So much better than a single stage or turret.  That said a 650 with case feeder is way better than a SDB but you are paying some bucks to go fast.

I recently sold my SDB and I hope the new user gets many good years of use as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
If you mean a case a month of pistol and not going to load rifle , then I wouldn't waste the money on a 650 or 550 a SDB will serve you very well if thats the intended shooting pattern , I'd think  with a bit of watching that for $300 you should come up with a press in 9mm and .40
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I own a Square Deal, 2 550s, and a 650.
550 is my favorite by far
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#20]
1. Square Deal great for single cartridge (conversion not fun) and won't load rifle, special dies.
2. 550B with case feeder won't load rifle (case won't clear decapping pin) unless modified. Conversions easy.
3. 650 with case feeder (different from 550B case feeder) will load rifle. Conversions easy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1. Square Deal great for single cartridge (conversion not fun) and won't load rifle, special dies.
2. 550B with case feeder won't load rifle (case won't clear decapping pin) unless modified. Conversions easy.
3. 650 with case feeder (different from 550B case feeder) will load rifle. Conversions easy.

Line 2 is very wrong. The 550 will almost any rifle you can dream of with exception of the 50BMG. I have loaded more 223 & 308 than I care to guess on mine with no modifications.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#22]
have had a square deal b\4 the B model.

remember the big "blue press" monthlys?

was sent the "B'' upgrade parts for free.

still use it to this day.not to mention the no B.S.warrenty.

only thing is the proprietary dies etc.

i use a 650 for rifle.

clown

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Line 2 is very wrong. The 550 will almost any rifle you can dream of with exception of the 50BMG. I have loaded more 223 & 308 than I care to guess on mine with no modifications.

He was talking about the case feeder for the 550.

GlockMonk

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/SDB/P1010369-1-1-1.jpg

I am a fan of the SDB. The second 2 were fun show scores. I'm looking for a 4th.

Have a 550 for progressive rifle loading.

Heh.  I had three SDB in those calibers.  I cracked the frame on one due to an inadequately stiff bench.  The others were upgraded to the brass bushing links.  The first I bought for $150, the second $125, the third $100. (showing my age here)  I sold all three at enough profit to buy my 650.  

They are great presses, and I kinda miss them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GlockMonk

What is EE?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GlockMonk

What is EE?

our Equipment Exchange

and this is the Reloading Section

be sure to familiarize yourself with the rules first
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's my .02$.....

I own a Square Deal and also a 550-B.

I would buy the 550-B because of the cost of the dies and also
the ability to load rifle cartridges.

I use my Square Deal for:

9mm, 38/357, 45 and also 44 Magnum.

I use my 550-B for:

45, 9mm, 5.56mm and 7.62 X 51.

I use the 45 and 9mm with a Lee Factory crimp die to guarantee
that the case will be sized all the way down, especially after the bullet
is seated.

I get 99+% reliability with 45's now- could not do that with the Square Deal.

The base of the cases were about .001" too large to allow my gun from closing
all the way, and it caused very difficult to clear jams....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top