Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2012 11:59:40 AM EDT
Picked up 27 once fired ( I know they were once fired because I saw the guy take them out of factory box and shoot them... then tell me he only buys factory ammo) 300 WM Hornady cases, 12  7mm Rem Mag cases, and about 300-500 mixed 223 brass (mainly LC and FC). If it had not been so hot I would of stayed longer and collected the brass from the three guys who showed up with AR's and were letting their brass go everywhere =(
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Picked up 27 once fired ( I know they were once fired because I saw the guy take them out of factory box and shoot them... then tell me he only buys factory ammo) 300 WM Hornady cases, 12  7mm Rem Mag cases, and about 300-500 mixed 223 brass (mainly LC and FC). If it had not been so hot I would of stayed longer and collected the brass from the three guys who showed up with AR's and were letting their brass go everywhere =(

Yeah, nothing wrong with asking first and then picking up free stuff.  I've probably gotten close to 600-700 pieces of Rem Green Box RP brass from AR guys just blasting away.  I keep the boxes too!

I won't go after the ratty stuff, but 300 WM, 375 H&H, 270 Win and 30'06, I've gotten a bunch of just by watching and then asking.  I know most of it is 1x as I've watched it being fired, as well.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You rarely find brass at my range, even 22.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I like going to the range on the days the swat teams practice. (there is one more 5 gallon bucket you can't see)

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like going to the range on the days the swat teams practice. (there is one more 5 gallon bucket you can't see)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP6526.jpg

nice!! I could have doubled or tripled my 223 brass but it was too hot. However, if there was that much brass on ground I would have toughed it out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually come home with more brass than I went out with.
Some guys at the range even know I reload and ask if I want their brass.

Good score OP. And its never hot enough for free brass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The guys that work at my local range take the brass that people don't keep and sell it for scrap and split the cash.  

I have at least talked them into letting me swap out my junk brass for good stuff of comparable amount from their bucket.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The guys that work at my local range take the brass that people don't keep and sell it for scrap and split the cash.  

I have at least talked them into letting me swap out my junk brass for good stuff of comparable amount from their bucket.

There are a few white trash looking scavengers picking up brass as soon as people shoot it.

Most people don't care but one of those bastards tried to pick up some FGMM and BH I had laying in a pile during a cease-fire.

I ran him off.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, nothing wrong with asking first and then picking up free stuff.  I've probably gotten close to 600-700 pieces of Rem Green Box RP brass from AR guys just blasting away.  I keep the boxes too!

I won't go after the ratty stuff, but 300 WM, 375 H&H, 270 Win and 30'06, I've gotten a bunch of just by watching and then asking.  I know most of it is 1x as I've watched it being fired, as well.

Chris

I wish I could find some of that at the range.  Not a very common caliber  but I love mine!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The range i go to is next door to the police range.  Im guessing they sell it or actually reload for their own use.  I would love to go and return with that much 223 brass
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My gun club recycles brass to help cover costs for the youth shooting team. I have on one occasion, been given full access to the "Brass stash".
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same here, except my local dept usually picks up their 5.56 brass, but leaves their 37mm aluminum cases. I have about 12 of those things hanging around in my reloading room, just in case I ever decide to get a 37mm launcher.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
In the Casual shooting area 1 mile west of my house. Just this last week I found (all look to be once fired)  9 45-70, 75 .45 LC, 200 .40S&W, 150 9mm, 100 LC11 .5.56,  52 .45ACP,  5 .460 S&W, one .257 Weatherby, 10 .7.62x39 and two 7.62x25 ... With loaded rounds 15-.22LR, 3-7.62x51, 5-12 Ga., 1-7.62x25, and  one 9mm. last month I found a AK 47 mag with 17 rounds still in it. Also 2 couches three tv's and 4 vacums all shot to pieces and two metal trash cans that had been blown to hell with tannerite
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, except my local dept usually picks up their 5.56 brass, but leaves their 37mm aluminum cases. I have about 12 of those things hanging around in my reloading room, just in case I ever decide to get a 37mm launcher.

Nice! I can find .50 cases every now and then since the range rents their large rifles. Those would be cool to have.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
A lot of us at my range reload. I am friends with the owner and RO's so as long as I pay the owners scrap price I can have all I want. Very fair to me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I may have to slip off to my local range tomorrow. Summers are a tough time for finding brass, the only people that seem to go in the summer are the reloaders... Winter better.

Our local PD has a private range at the airport. They prolly just scrap their brass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Back when I was in charge of an Army Reserve rifle team, we shot at a number of civilian ranges and competitions. It seemed a waste to turn back once shot LC Match 7.62 in order to be sold for scrap by the government. I made even swaps with civilian shooters for their .308/7.62 cases (old/dirty/split/shot out/etc). It had to be an even swap or I would be guilty of "profiteering" from government property. The government got what it required and shooters got a no cost upgrade to their old cases.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#17]
since i started reloading brass at my range has dried up(perfect timing) but i still ask anyone whos there if i can have theirs, usually they are more than happy they dont need to pick it up themselves. and i am not above rooting through the trashcans there to find more brass and boxes
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
since i started reloading brass at my range has dried up(perfect timing) but i still ask anyone whos there if i can have theirs, usually they are more than happy they dont need to pick it up themselves. and i am not above rooting through the trashcans there to find more brass and boxes

The range I go to sells brass in the front office, but I never see 223 brass....But 223 brass is EVERYWHERE it seems like. I got another 400 pieces of 223 brass today and that was only at the rifle range in my immediate area. I could have picked up more but the RO (who I might talk to next time because he seems like he might be cool with it) was staying at the rifle line more today since it was a busier day. I too ask people who come up and some are like sure no problem. Today, two different groups said sure and then started talking to me about reloading and how hard it was to do. I saw more brass catchers today than I ever saw at that range too =(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top