Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2012 11:29:06 PM EDT
Just bought myself a 300BLK and wondering what everyones set up for reloading it was? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the club.
For 300blk I have a hornady LNL press, Forster bench rest full length sizing and also seating dies, and a factory crimp die. I started off with the lee set, but was very disappointed with them and put them aside when my forster stuff showed up.

For case prep I have the Rcbs bench mounted super swage (just like the dillon), a primer pocket uniforming cutter, and flash hole uniformer (only really used when it's needed) a hornady trim station with the regular hornady blade to do rough/large cuts down to the neck, and then an Rcbs 3way to do my final trim. It's chucked to my dewalt drill, so its super quick and efficient. I did make a jig to hold 556 brass, securely in place so I could cut the neck off with the dremel, but got sick of that and just use the hornady cutter now.

Midway is selling blemished seconds .30 bullets (it's really nice stuff) right now for super cheap. I picked up 5000 155gr accupoint spitzer for an insane price, so I will be shooting quite a bit this summer!
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.
For 300blk I have a hornady LNL press, Forster bench rest full length sizing and also seating dies, and a factory crimp die. I started off with the lee set, but was very disappointed with them and put them aside when my forster stuff showed up.

For case prep I have the Rcbs bench mounted super swage (just like the dillon), a primer pocket uniforming cutter, and flash hole uniformer (only really used when it's needed) a hornady trim station with the regular hornady blade to do rough/large cuts down to the neck, and then an Rcbs 3way to do my final trim. It's chucked to my dewalt drill, so its super quick and efficient. I did make a jig to hold 556 brass, securely in place so I could cut the neck off with the dremel, but got sick of that and just use the hornady cutter now.

Midway is selling blemished seconds .30 bullets (it's really nice stuff) right now for super cheap. I picked up 5000 155gr accupoint spitzer for an insane price, so I will be shooting quite a bit this summer!

These?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/148157/blemished-match-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-155-grain-polymer-tip-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100-bulk-packaged
$.20/bullet

For subs, it looks like they have 208 a-maxs?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155872/blemished-match-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-208-grain-polymer-tip-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100-bulk-packaged
for $.24/bullet

and maybe these are 220 SMKs?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/148157/blemished-match-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-155-grain-polymer-tip-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100-bulk-packaged
for $.26/bullet

I got a couple thousand of the 220 SMK pulls from Rocky Mountain Reloading a while back for $.25/each which was a good deal, but they haven't had any since ...
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, those. I also got a few hundred of the $.13 FMJs as well to try out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#4]
For the Press, i've got Forster Ultra FL sizer and Micro seater.  Lee FCD for crimp.  Press is a Dillon XL650

For powder i've only experimented with H110.  It's cycled every round i've tried so far with zero issues on my 8" barrel.  From what i hear W296 is nearly identical.  I've also heard of some success with AA9 and lilgun.  

For Bullets, I use mostly 147gr FMJs...mostly pulled ones from the gunshows, though i've also shot a multitude of 125-175gr bullets with success with the H110.  

I haven't moved onto A1680 and subs with 200+gr bullets...still waiting on my suppressor.  

there's a nice large section of reloading info available here:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=141&sid=b9884ffe3be08c4c7f734b90f84df8d7

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info. This is probably a very stupid question. but I can use any .308 bullet correct? The reason I am wondering is because on some websites there are some tabs for .308 and then 300BLK?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Almost any bullet.  Flat or round tip bullets may not fit an AR15 mag.  A bolt gun should do fine with either.  

Make sure you use the appropriate powder for the bullet weight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never considered reloading, but with a 300BLK SBR on the way I'm thinking I might want to consider it.  Especially if we like it and need to order a second.

Could you guys give me a rough estimate of your equipment outlays?  I'm trying to get an idea of how many rounds of reloading would be required to break even vs. retail ammo purchases.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have never considered reloading, but with a 300BLK SBR on the way I'm thinking I might want to consider it.  Especially if we like it and need to order a second.

Could you guys give me a rough estimate of your equipment outlays?  I'm trying to get an idea of how many rounds of reloading would be required to break even vs. retail ammo purchases.

Check this out http://www.reloaderhub.com/calculator.cfm - it should give you a good idea of how many rounds it takes to break even

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been using H110 since I first got my 300blk, but recently got a pound of Lil' Gun to try for the 150gr and smaller loads. It meters extremely well, seems to be very accurate, fills the case nicely, and burns well. Lots of guys on blktalk have been trying it lately with very good results.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check this out http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp - it should give you a good idea of how many rounds it takes to break even

That only seems to indicate the raw materials cost to build a bullet, not indicate how much it costs for all the equipment necessary to reload.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check this out http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp - it should give you a good idea of how many rounds it takes to break even

That only seems to indicate the raw materials cost to build a bullet, not indicate how much it costs for all the equipment necessary to reload.

http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/break-even-calculator/

Figure that out (your variable cost) and then add on the cost of the equipment (your fixed cost) and then compare it with the price per round of factory ammo (your selling price per unit)
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
.300 BLK is a great one to load given factory loads are still pricey, but the components are common and inexpensive.  Yeah i know there's the UMC stuff out there but that's still about .60/round but most factories are still up around a dollar a round.  

You can make your own .300 blk brass from .223 with a dremmel, case trimmer, and FL sizing die.  once fired 5.56 goes for about .09/case.  I got my first batch of .300 blk brass from a place called brad's warehouse...$220/1000 i think.  I make it just as good as he does so i go the cheap, time consuming route now.  

Bullets go for as little as .10 apeice...20 to .25 per bullet is more common.  Wideners sells .308 147gr FMJs (new) for $300/2000bullets.  That's .15/bullet

Powder, assuming 17gr of H110/round i think is around .07/round

Primers are .03/round.

Recovery time is based largely on what type of equipment you buy.  Buying a top end progressive will take a lot longer to recover the cost of investment than something like a rock chucker.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Top of the page, read the FAQ's and Tutorials. In Reloading Tools and Accessories there are several lists of what you need to reload.

Like anything else, cost depends on quality of tools and how fast and convenient you want to do something.

Buy a copy of this for more info.

I have to warn you. Reloading turns into an addicting hobby.

When you find out you can load better ammo than you can buy, you will be hooked.

Can't say you weren't warned.

I've scanned the FAQ and I really appreciate the information so far, but I was just hoping for a simple answer for now.

For instance, if someone said "I spent $100 on equipment for reloading, not including brass, primers, powder, etc.". I would probably think I should look into this SOON.

However, if someone said "I spent $1000 on all my reloading equipment, and I don't think there are many places I would go cheaper." I probably won't investigate it until LATER.

Then, I can get more details and read all the useful info in depth.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 3:09:20 AM EDT
[#15]
But thats the thing about reloading... You can get just about everything you need minus braas,primers,ect for 100 or you can spend well over 1000 it depends on how fast you want to make ammo.  I use a lee turret, its some what slow but it works.  i started with the kit and upgraded my scale and got a better trimmers.  I like the possum hollow style       i saw your 300blk out nice rifle.  If you plan on shooting it alot reloading for it will cut cost pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But thats the thing about reloading... You can get just about everything you need minus braas,primers,ect for 100 or you can spend well over 1000 it depends on how fast you want to make ammo.  I use a lee turret, its some what slow but it works.  i started with the kit and upgraded my scale and got a better trimmers.  I like the possum hollow style       i saw your 300blk out nice rifle.  If you plan on shooting it alot reloading for it will cut cost pretty good.

That's what I was looking for, thanks.  Would you say the difference in a $1000 setup vs. a $100 setup is 10 x as fast?  Twice as fast?

My concerns are 1) time (two working parents, 2 little kids), and 2) how long to break even.  I only shoot a thousand or so rounds in my AR a year.  I might shoot the 300 BLK less if I buy all retail, but I might be inclined to shoot it more if I can reload cheaply without spending hundreds of hours I don't have to spend.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I vote that you pick up a used single stage.  I use a singe stage to process 200 (300blk) rounds at a time.  You can resize/deprime 200 very quickly, then reprime them while watching tv.  The next day, I'll dump powder in the 200 cases using a measure, and then seat all 200 which might take a little over an hour.

It really depends on how much you plan to shoot.  200 rounds of 300 BLK lasts me 2 to 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont know about how much faster but for me its case prep that takes forever.  But i too have 2 kids and my wife works too. I think if i had a faster set up i still wouldnt make much more ammo because i couldnt afford to keep buying powder,bullets, and primers.  Its just something i work on in my spare time
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#19]
You already know what you need to figure out how long it will take to break even. Take the two minutes and figure it out based on how much you plan on shooting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I run a hornady lock n load progressive press and have powered trimmers. I have no problems loading 1000 rounds a week, spending an hour or two on it in the evening when the girl is in bed. I shoot enough that my setup "broke even" in roughly 2,000 rounds, which didn't take long.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I use around 350 dollars worth of equipment to load 300 blk. I have a lee single stage and a Hornady Lock and load progressive. I only use the LNL on pistol and 223 and choose to load the 300 on my single stage.
price break down:
Dies: 70
Press kit  120
Scale  100
trimmer (used) 35
Harbor freight mini cut off saw 25
Bullet puller 20

Total 370 could go with out the scale and cut off saw but they make it a lot easier.

Reload cost:
bullet .13
Powder: 5
Primer :2
case : free
total per round  20 cents price per box 4 dollars                  factory ammo 12 dollars a box

at a savings of 8 dollar a box it will take 46 boxes to break even or 925 rounds.

Add in the fact that you can reload other guns for the cost of dies and its a big savings. I load a lot of pistol rounds and they payed for all the reloading equipment, the Lee was my first press that was quickly upgraded to a Lock and load.

It takes me about 30 minutes to load a 100 rounds not counting making brass from 223 cases. the LNL will load 500 rounds an hour but it also ups the cost quite a bit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#22]
What if you shoot open bolt SMG's often? Can my deformed cases from my MAC's be recovered? FYI: They actually fire the round prior to them being fully in battery, because of the ROF. I run through 5K-7K rounds a month including my M16's, which are not open bolt and don't deform the brass (I only use quality ammo for all).

Will I be able to keep up reloading that many?

Will I be able to recover the brass?

Do you know the girl in your avatar DJinGA? Wow! (sorry, had to ask)
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use around 350 dollars worth of equipment to load 300 blk. I have a lee single stage and a Hornady Lock and load progressive. I only use the LNL on pistol and 223 and choose to load the 300 on my single stage.
price break down:
Dies: 70
Press kit  120
Scale  100
trimmer (used) 35
Harbor freight mini cut off saw 25
Bullet puller 20

Total 370 could go with out the scale and cut off saw but they make it a lot easier.

Reload cost:
bullet .13
Powder: 5
Primer :2
case : free
total per round  20 cents price per box 4 dollars                  factory ammo 12 dollars a box

at a savings of 8 dollar a box it will take 46 boxes to break even or 925 rounds.

Add in the fact that you can reload other guns for the cost of dies and its a big savings. I load a lot of pistol rounds and they payed for all the reloading equipment, the Lee was my first press that was quickly upgraded to a Lock and load.

It takes me about 30 minutes to load a 100 rounds not counting making brass from 223 cases. the LNL will load 500 rounds an hour but it also ups the cost quite a bit.

THANK YOU!  That's exactly what I was looking for.

Are there good times of the year to get equipment (July 4 sale, Labor day, Christmas)?

Quoted:
Do you know the girl in your avatar DGinGA? Wow! (sorry, had to ask)

Sorry, no.  I get that question a lot.  Wife is in BotD, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top