Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2012 9:46:43 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting into reloading, starting with .223 and maybe other calibers later.

I was hoping to pick up a cheap single stage kit to get started, though I'd like a mutli stage / turret loader I don't think I want to spend $300+ right away.

Can anyone make some good recommendations? I'm hoping to not spend much more than $120 or so.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Check this one out   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with tines the Lee kit is a great way to get started without a huge $ investment.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If you do not have $ to spend, then probably go with the Lee Classic Turret Press or Classic Cast Breechlock. Both can be purchased as kits for just over $200. I saved my $ a little longer and purchased a Dillion 550. Squirreled away some other supplies i bought from Midway or gun show deals. JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the Lee breech lock kit. Very nice for the money and works great. Little slow going as is all single stage presses but for a new reloader, like I was, its the best to get the technique down.

Remember to buy the brushing when buying dies, I always forget.

I reload 4 calibers on it and have had no problems that were not my newbishness.

Craig
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check this one out   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

Best bang for your buck. Do yourself a favor, and don't start with a progressive. I have several presses, and still use my single stage all the time - it's a worthwhile investment. It's a lot easier to learn the basics when you're not fiddling with a progressive system, and you're focused on a single die/operation at a time instead.

ABC's of Reloading is an excellent book, as are the introductory sections of most reloading manuals. Lee's manual is a pretty good guide (if you can get past the 'ad' feeling), but I don't much care for their reloading data. I learned almost exclusively from the Hornady manual when I started, and I was pretty much self-taught. Browse around where dryflash told you to, and for now, ignore the people telling you to skip the single stage/turret press to save up for a XXXX progressive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a Lee Classic Turret, I like it. Its my first press so I have no real basis for comparison. It isn't as fast as a progressive, but I don't need or want to mess with that to begin with. Self indexing is very nice, but its easy enough to pop out the indexing rod for single function operations too. I am probably going to find an uber cheap press just for decapping instead though. Could just pick up another turret for that, but another press just sounds like a good idea.

Two minor problems with the Lee just so you know. The priming system seems to suck. I haven't fully loaded one single case yet and I already bought an RCBS hand primer out of anger. The other thing is that there is a little square plastic indexing thingy, they are a bad design! Why that was made of plastic is beyond me. Lube the turret and the indexing shaft before you do anything. I used an aerosol lithium grease since it was laying around, it works great. And buy extra plastic thingys. They are only like $.50 anyway so keep some extras around. I have not striped one out yet, but I have read that it's a common weak point. God forbid you have to reach up and turn the turret by hand!
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best bang for your buck. Do yourself a favor, and don't start with a progressive. I have several presses, and still use my single stage all the time - it's a worthwhile investment. It's a lot easier to learn the basics when you're not fiddling with a progressive system, and you're focused on a single die/operation at a time instead.

ABC's of Reloading is an excellent book, as are the introductory sections of most reloading manuals. Lee's manual is a pretty good guide (if you can get past the 'ad' feeling), but I don't much care for their reloading data. I learned almost exclusively from the Hornady manual when I started, and I was pretty much self-taught. Browse around where dryflash told you to, and for now, ignore the people telling you to skip the single stage/turret press to save up for a XXXX progressive.

Amen to that.

This is the kit I got started on and I have loaded thousands of rounds on it. Lee's book is adequate to get you started but. yeah, it does feel like a sales ad at times.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got my lee challenger breechlock kit from midway tuesday along with lyman tumbler, dies, extra bushings, case length gauge. Very easy to set up and working great so far.
I have only gotten through to trimming some cases so far but my tumbler works well a little loud but it's in the garage. Decapping and resizing was a breeze the primer catch is nice no mess in the living room. I ran in to a couple crimped and sealed primers on some ppu stamped cases and the decapping pin backs out if you push too hard instead of breaking nice feature. Need to set up my lock stud in a drill as I am having to trim far more cases than I anticipated with factory ammo that I fired. Definately a great starter kit though have everything I need and some projectiles for just over $200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top