Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 8:19:05 AM EDT
I just got a Dillon 650 and an extra powder measure that way I have one that I can always keep the small powder bar in and one for the large powder bar.  Now I would love to get a powder measure for  each caliber that I make but at present I don't have the funds for it.  I was thinking though that I could get extra powder measure dies and mount them to the tool heads of my different calibers (I have a tool head for each caliber) and just take the measure and move it to the tool head that I'm going to be running with.  That way I only have to adjust the powder amount and verifty the belling when I load that caliber again.  Has anyone else done this?  Your thoughts and advice are welcomed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I load probably 2 dozen or more calibers on my 550 and 650.  I have one powder measure and a powder bar for each load.  I set the bar and mark it on the end with a sharpie what it is for, ie: 44 Mag, 223, 308, 30/06, etc.  I keep the powder bar in the box with the conversion kit.  I have the powder die on each tool head and just move the measure to the tool head and install the powder bar for that load.  Takes just a couple of minutes to change the powder bar.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I pretty much do what Glock23c does.  Except I have one powder measure that I keep on my 223 tool head and another that I keep on my 45 ACP tool head, which are my most loaded cartridges.  I also have another powder measure or two that I have extra powder bars for that I use for the other calibers I reload.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Have dedicated tool heads for 9mm, .38 Super, 45acp and .223. Each tool head has powder die. One measure works fine swapping between tool heads.

If I had one cartridge load per caliber then yea, I could see dedicated PMs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Dedicated PM on each tool head, however, I only load 9mm and .223 at this time.  I do

intend to start loading .380 and .308, both will have their own PM as well just for convenience.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a complete tool head for all my loads 9mm 45acp 40 .223 and 6.8

If I was todo it again I would proable not get a pm fo each... maybe cut it in half..

but buy once cry once...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Rightnow I'm loading 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP and .223.  I've got a tool head for each caliber and at this time I've got a PM dedicated to my .223 and one for my three pistol calibers.  I was thinking of just getting the powder die for each of the pistol calibers and move the one PM as needed but for a $150.00 I can get PM's for the last two tool heads.  So I think I'll try to scare up some overtime at work and maybe go that route.  If not I'm going to just go with powder dies in each one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Look into the Dillon Quick Change kit.

I have a powder measure for each caliber.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I am in the same situation with the OP, was just thinking of getting dedicated toolheads for each caliber w/ 5 dies set up and then just change the bar, if needed and PM.
What is the advantage of having a PM and bar set up for each caliber, consistancy? transalating into accuracy?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Convenience that way when I change calibers all I have to do is verify the powder throw a couple of times and then check it at my regular intervals.  Other then the shellplate, case feeder set up and the primer assembly if needed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I can see there is a unanimous concensus.

I guess we are helping the economy, i guess
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have ~20 tool heads.  Powder measures run ~$75 each.  For $1500 I can change the powder measure between tool heads and swap out powder bars.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top