Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 8:27:47 PM EDT
I finally downloaded the data from IMR's website on .30-06 and found the load data for XBR 8208. It spans over several bullet weights.

However, in my Hornady book it does not list 8208 for my Garand. Can I just load 150's and 168's in 8208 to the same FPS listings that are listed for the Garand?

My intention is to make 8208 XBR my primary .30-06 powder.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
In a word, no. The Garand needs a load with the right pressure curve or it may bend the operating rod. Just because you could load to the same velocity, doesn't mean it has a compatable pressure curve for the Garand. While it may be possible to load for the Garand with that powder, I myself wouldn't experiment as I don't have the equipment to measure the pressure curve of the load. A chronograph isn't goint to tell you anything about this curve.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In a word, no. The Garand needs a load with the right pressure curve or it may bend the operating rod. Just because you could load to the same velocity, doesn't mean it has a compatable pressure curve for the Garand. While it may be possible to load for the Garand with that powder, I myself wouldn't experiment as I don't have the equipment to measure the pressure curve of the load. A chronograph isn't goint to tell you anything about this curve.

What he said^. Stick with proven powders for gas guns.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Timco, have you seen, or do you have, the historical articles for Garand loading?

Many of these articles are floating on the web. I don't recall seeing 8208 on the lists. Let me clip an article in here if I have them on this hard drive.

Don't have them with me, but here is a link to some historical M1 loads.

http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm

and this is a little dated, but down the text you can see where the burn rates favored by the Garand will fall.

http://carnival.saysuncle.com/002449.html

The Garand is still magnetic for me too, just can't help myself when one comes out onto the line.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Save that 8208 XBR for your heavy .223 rounds, that's where it really shines!
From what everyone tells me, IMR 4895 has the right pressure curve for the Garand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
H335 has been doing well for my Garand. The latest Hornady book has many powder listings for the Garand.

Going to try Accurite No 9 for my Carbine next. Been using H110.

Thanks for the input!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top