Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2011 3:16:10 AM EDT
My son's and I are going to build a 300 blackout for use on some SBRed ARs and a Colt M16. I may pick up a Remington Bolt gun in 300 Blackout for White Tail Deer Hunting in PA. Has anyone worked up and decent Deer Loads for the 300 Blackout?   Any feed back on performance of this round when used on a White Tail?

Any suggestions for a decent scope combo to use on a 300 Blackout Deer Rifle.

Thank You and Have a Great Day!

Dane
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think hunting deer with a semi auto in PA was legal?  

Disregard missed the part that you where doing a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not a  200+ grain Full Metal Jacket  at subsonic velocity?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

FMJs are illegal for deer hunting, and that is for good reason.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You can find a several 300blk gel tests with load recipes here:  Brassfetcher 300blk tests

Should give you a start.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are some videos around of people shooting watermelons with supersonic light bullets and sub sonic heavy bullets, the watermelons explode when hit by the high speed rounds, the sub sonics make a little 30 cal hole in and a little 30 cal hole going out, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the supersonic bullets are far more effective.

I don't know about every state in the country, but suppressors and full metal jacket bullets aren't legal for hunting most places.

They are in Texas (for those pesky asshole hogs)!
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are in Texas (for those pesky asshole hogs)!

With landowner permission isn't pretty much anything legal for feral hogs in Texas?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Check this out:

http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

Expanding subsonics for the Blackout.  Expensive yes, but for hunting/self defense it's not like you need thousands of them.  Supposedly from what I've read elsewhere the ballistics mimic the 220gr SMK.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hawk precision has been making thin jacketed bullets for a while now.

here
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FMJs are illegal for deer hunting, and that is for good reason.

Not entirely true.
FMJ's are legal for hunting in Vermont.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My current hunting load is 150gr Hornady Interbonds with H110 loaded to 1970fps (average) with a 12.5" barrel. Haven't had a chance to try them on anything but paper yet though
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Micro7 bolt gun.  Brass formed from GI cases.  Wolf .223 primers.  18.7gr H110.  2.1" oal.  Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip.  2252 fps 10' from muzzle.  Nikon 223 1-4x scope.  

Deer #1:  29 yards away.  Double lung shot that hit no bone.  Complete passthrough.  Bullet expanded.  Deer trotted about 40-50yd and fell over.

Deer #2:  122 yards away.  Broke right leg, massive heart damage, hole in left leg.  Complete passthrough.  Bullet expanded; found small piece of bullet jacket in heart.  Deer fell over; dead right there.  

I didn't measure the exit holes, but you could stick a finger in each exit hole.  I was very pleased with the performance.  Scope was set on 4x for all shots.  I went with the 1-4 scope as I wanted something lighter to match the light rifle.  I think for my 300 Blk AR 16" upper that I am having built that I will go with a Nikon 3-9x 40mm scope that I already have on hand.  Both Nikon scopes have the BDC recticle that I can use for longer shots.  I have an EOTech on my 10.3" Blackout upper, as the Nosler Ballistic Tips run out of expansion velocity sooner with that shorter barrel, so I didn't feel the need for scope magnification.  I have not hunted with the 10.3" upper yet, as where I hunted this year had the opportunity for seeing deer at longer distances, but the 2 deer gotten could have easily been taken with the short bbl upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top