Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 7:12:28 PM EDT
Got my trimmer today and AR assembly tools (not shown)

Cant wait to start processing brass, after i get the only thing im missing, a damn shell holder ARRGHH  

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a Universal for ~17 years and it's served me well.

First thing you need to do is buy the power drill adapter bar for that trimmer.  It's about $20-$22 and will pay for itself the first time you trim a big batch.  It comes with its own cutting head, as well, so you'll have a spare.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the Orange, used one for several years till I went with Doug's machine, still have it on the top shelf.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything to help with case trimming and prep is a huge help.  It used to be the only part of reloading I hated.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had that same Lyman trimmer for years, but mine has been a bit of a disappointment. I simply never got really consistent trim lengths with it no matter what I did.
I never was able to figure out what  the problem was, despite its' apparent simplicity, and went back to using the simple Lee piloted cutters for case length trimming. PERFECT every time, (except for an old one with an aluminum pilot that eventually got chewed up at the end by the cutter, in effect shortening the trim length.) The newer ones are hard SS, and haven't caused any problems whatsoever.)

I do have the neck-turning head system and pilots for the Lyman trimmer and that is an excellent performer, however. So I use it for that, with great results. The hand crank works better than the power adaptor for neck-turning, BTW.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love the Orange, used one for several years till I went with Doug's machine, still have it on the top shelf.

I am in the same boat- have the RCBS version still mounted on my bench for small batch work!  It does the trick.  But Doug's machine is the Cadillac!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have had that same Lyman trimmer for years, but mine has been a bit of a disappointment. I simply never got really consistent trim lengths with it no matter what I did.
I never was able to figure out what  the problem was, despite its' apparent simplicity, and went back to using the simple Lee piloted cutters for case length trimming. PERFECT every time, (except for an old one with an aluminum pilot that eventually got chewed up at the end by the cutter, in effect shortening the trim length.) The newer ones are hard SS, and haven't caused any problems whatsoever.)

I do have the neck-turning head system and pilots for the Lyman trimmer and that is an excellent performer, however. So I use it for that, with great results. The hand crank works better than the power adaptor for neck-turning, BTW.

Should of bought the Girauld trimmer>
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Enjoy, still use my hand trimmer. Handy tool to have around.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I just picked me up one of the WFT Trimmers for .223.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

I haven't used it much, but what i have trimmed is spot on with measurement.  Screw that hand crank crap.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#11]
n little crow do custom calibers? Since this is all for a wildcat?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should of bought the Girauld trimmer>

Yeah, maybe.
But the almost-free Lee trimmers work just fine for my limited volume, and the Lyman "lathe" handles the infrequent neck-turning job to a Tee.
So I'm content.

For now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top