Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2011 5:34:14 PM EDT
Recently got a new Dillon xl 650. After set up, I loaded forty 45acp and took to the range to see how they shot.  They did great! Decided to try and load a few hundred tonight and the machine keeps doing crazy stuff! I didnt change anything after that first batch. Now, some of the Hornady 230gr XTP tips are being pressed down until it looks like a star...also sometimes it doesnt look like i get enough bell on some of the cases(a few have had way too much). My oal is varying between 1.233 and 1.225! WTF ? I havent fiddled with anything. Oh yea, is the lock link supposed to wear into the powder measure bellcrank?
ANY help would be great....I dont think Dillon is open this late or i would call them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
if your components: brass, projectiles, are consistent, then your machine isn't.  Taking a wild guess here, is your

seating stem in the seating die loose?  Only thing that comes to mind at the moment.  If not the stem, then the lock

rings for your dies.  Maybe they're wobbling all over the place. Or the shell plate is too loose.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
see if the shell plate that holds the brass is loose or wobbles.  
if it dose then you need to take the plate off and trim the spring under the ball bearing,
i had a similar issue and that worked for me
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Oh yea, is the lock link supposed to wear into the powder measure bellcrank?

Well things that rub together will wear, I guess that means they're supposed to.   But on a new machine, even a decades old machine, not enough ever to cause the problems you're describing

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm saying shell plate is too loose.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There are different inserts for seating bullets. You may be using the wrong one.

When you move the lever, move it all the way down, and then all the way back to the top, smooth, firm, consistent.  

Nothing is supposed to be rubbing and wearing, perhaps your powder measure is turned to the wrong position.

Post a picture if you can.

You don't need much bell, unless you are loading lead bullets.

There is a locking screw that holds a center bolt into your shell plate. Make sure the shell plate isn't too loose by adjusting the bolt in the center if necessary.

Watch this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8JLmflvrw

Take a deep breath and call Dillon in the morning 800-223-4570
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
STOP

Call DILLON

sounds like your powder measure isn't set up correctly and things are moving out of adjustment

Dillon can help a lot,  they are really good.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys...went back down in the basement and looked at it again, i adjusted powder funnel to give more bell and that stopped the bullet nose crushing problem. I dont know how the hell it lost the adjustment i had on it..It worked fine for the first 20rnds then it really flared out 3 cases then went to basicaly no bell. The last 100 i did tonight look just right.
One other question though, Im useing RCBS dies that i had before i got the 650. Do ya think that may be making my oal vary by 3 to5 thousanths? now its running 1.227 to 1.233. Ive always been more precise with my single stage press. Ya think this is enough to worry about?
I will call Dillon and order their dies tomorrow just to rule it out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top