Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 1:47:12 PM EDT
Does ANYBODY do this on their progressive,in sequence at the same time?Just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What calibers?

For pistol, on a 4 or 5 station press, you typically decap/size in station 1, powder/expand in station 2, seat on station 3, and crimp on station 4. On a 5 station press, you can put a powder check die on station 3 and move the seat and crimp stations back one spot.

For rifles, you can't go from range brass to loaded ammo with one trip through the machine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats different about rifle?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Generally only if they have the Dillon power trimmer on the press.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Correct case length is more critical, and they also have lube on them which I like to get off before putting powder in.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Usually rifle needs two passes because cases may need to be trimmed and/or the primer pockets need to be decrimped.

Cases should be trimmed after sizing so the first pass is lube, decap, size.  The sizing die will decap and size at the same time.

Then you need to trim the cases if 1.760" for .223 or longer and if necesary decrimp the primer pocket.

You can do additional primer pocket steps if you want: clean the pocket, uniform it, uniform the primer flash hole.

Then you can finish up by delubing, seating a new primer, dropping powder, seating a projectile, and optionally applying one of three different types of crimps: roll crimp, taper crimp, Lee Factory Crimp Die crimp.

Some people delube the case after it's been loaded, I like to delube it right after it's been sized so I no longer have to handle sticky gooey cases for the rest of the process.

––––––––––-

All that being said, if you're careful on keeping all your brass in known lots, you can trim it to 1.740" the first time around and forever more use the RCBS X die and avoid the trimming process.  But once you get new brass into that stream, you're running the risk of loading a round that has a > 1.760" case length.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
OK,I should have asked "why would anybody" do this.I know you can but why?I like clean brass and a clean press. I decap all my brass rifle and pistol on a separate press clean,size, trim rifle and reclean before I load.Just wondering.  EDTA primer pocket work included Before loading.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been known to do it this way with brass that's on its last loading.  Which for me is its 4th firing.  I just polish the lube  off of the loaded rnds.

ETA   You ask "why would anybody" do this ?

Its much faster
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OK,I should have asked "why would anybody" do this.I know you can but why?I like clean brass and a clean press. I decap all my brass rifle and pistol on a separate press clean,size, trim rifle and reclean before I load.Just wondering.  EDTA primer pocket work included Before loading.

You just fessed up why you process rifle brass in two stages and gave your own answer, which is correct.  Rifle brass needs trimming and primer pocket tending to before you load it.  Can't do it all in one pass.
Now if you're reloading rifle brass that's already been processed, you can do it in one pass.  But then again, the key phrase is "rifle brass that's already been processed".  That usually means you. That means separate steps as described above.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
On my 650 I size/trim in the RL1200 on the first pass.  Tumble to remove lube, and then neck size decap/prime on second pass.  

This prevents media from getting in the primer pockets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top