Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2011 4:35:05 PM EDT
I have a large supply of brass with crimped primers.  I almost bought the RCBS press mounted swage tool the other day, but I wanted to learn more about it.  I also have my eye on the Dillon Super Swage 600, but I have already spent enough $$$$ on my new reloading habit.  So I decided to ask the Hive which is best for reloading on a budget.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both.

You can use the Dillon to swage the pockets of all your cases. Later on as you acquire more brass and it WILL get mixed with other brass (range pickups) you can use the RCBS to check to see if it needs swaging or not. There is a little more detailed information here.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=452
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Dillon
ETA there will always be something else to buy
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
+1..

I am still buying stuff...

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Neither.  Use the Hornady tool chucked in a drill.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Many people recommend this, but some say that it could leave deformed or off center primer pockets.  I though a swager would be more consistent.  Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many people recommend this, but some say that it could leave deformed or off center primer pockets.  I though a swager would be more consistent.  Your thoughts?

I think DryFlash covered it - I am about production.  When I look at 2-4K cases of brass, an RCBS is out of the question.  I'd spring for a Dillon, but sorting brass by headstamp - not gonna happen.  Son then I'm left with a Hornady.  I took their aluminum handle and turned down one end on a lathe so it fits in a 3/8 drill.  You can chuck the tool right in the drill, but that puts my hand too close to the drill for my liking.  It not IF your hand slips, but when.  Gotta wear a glove too if you have trimmed your brass, as the edge is damned sharp and has cut numerous semi-circles in my hand/fingers.

The RCBS rod bends and I have two of them.  You have to adjust them just right.  Now they'll replace the bent rod, but really - for me - I'm just gonna bend it again, so why bother?

When reloading - like selecting a rifle, you have to ask yourself what is the intended purpose.  I wanna make decent ammo as fast and safe as realistic, so that's how I pick my tools for loading.

Now - were I to chase sub MOA, I'd do things differently.  As it stands, the stuff I load would probably be sub MOA, if I was a better shooter.

I load ammo to shoot without trying to achieve a sub moa result; however, if I did pursue that goal, I'd load in smaller batches, take more care and maybe use some of the other tools.

I have 2K of .223 to process all the way through and another 1,500 cases needing to be swaged.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't used either swager but i'm considering adding one. I use the hornady reamer in a drill and it works good. It can get a little tiresome to the hand after a few hundred cases but I do about 250 at a time and have no problems. I can do 250 in about 30 min. Right now I only load for target shooting and work in smaller batches than most guys on here. If I were loading 1000+ rounds at a time I would definetly buy the dillon.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
In short you will be happier with th Dillon due to is ease of use and speed at which the process can be done. The RCBS in my opinion is clumsy and slow. Yes I own and have used both.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I went from the RCBS unit to the Hornady and like The Hornady better
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got both as well. I like the Dillon much better for when I need to do a lot of them. The RCBS is ok for onesy twosy type stuff.

I mounted the Dillon SS to a piece of plywood (8"x12") and use a C-clamp to put it anywhere I want to use it. Works great, and can easily get it out of the way when not needed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]
small batches; machinists deburring tool $5 at harbor freight, large batches I set up and use my RCBS but bending rods is a PITA and it slower than hell ; hopefully someday I'll get a Dillon
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Dillon.  I don't even adjust it for each headstamp.   It really doesn't take much so when I first got mine I set it to min swage.  The primer pockets are nice and tight and I haven't had one yet that wouldn't seat a primer.  I can easily do 100 cases in 8 to 10 minutes.

I don't like the idea of a reamers because I've seen so many improperly reamed cases where the primer pocket is now loose.  Maybe those people are just using the wrong tool.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both and prefer the RCBS.  It's too easy to enlarge the primer pockets with the super swage.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have both and prefer the RCBS.  It's too easy to enlarge the primer pockets with the super swage.

The only thing I can imagine enlarging with the Dillon is the entry point, nothing more, unless you mal-adjust it and crush/deform the webs
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Dryflash,  thanks for the good and informative info.  I think I will go with the Dillon.  The Hornady reamer sounds tempting, but I plan on loading primarily once-fired brass and my supply is virtually endless.  I get it off department ranges and it is pretty much guarunteed to be all once fired.  FYI, it is winchester brass with a crimped PP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I just ordered a 600. I've tried a few methods of reaming the crimp with drills or my RCBS case prep center and it's fine for a few cases, but a real pain for a few hundred cases.

With a C&R license, the 600 was about 90 bucks from Grafs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Question.  Please verify. I have 9mm and .45 brass w/ crimped primers.  The dillon will work on straight pistol cases as well as bottlenck, right?
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Because the dillon makes it so easy and range pickups mix all your brass up. Is it bad to swage brass that didnt need it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Does the Dillon Super Swage uniform primer pockets too?
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Question.  Please verify. I have 9mm and .45 brass w/ crimped primers.  The dillon will work on straight pistol cases as well as bottlenck, right?

Dillon says that it will. They list a 45acp adapter, but I'm not sure if it comes with the 600. I'll know in a few days when it arrives.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does the Dillon Super Swage uniform primer pockets too?

I would think that you still need to uniform and clean the pockets since this is only taking care of the crimp. I know guys that never do that for plinking ammo, but do it for match or hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because the dillon makes it so easy and range pickups mix all your brass up. Is it bad to swage brass that didnt need it?

I can't see that you'd hurt the brass. I suppose you could have the swage rod out of adjustment, but that would affect all the brass and you'd notice that.
The lever would probably just not encounter any resistance on un-crimped brass. I've run some non-crimped cases onto my old rcbs reamer and it was noticeable how easy it went down onto the reamer.

ETA; Page 2!
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#28]
dillon
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dillon says that it will. They list a 45acp adapter, but I'm not sure if it comes with the 600. I'll know in a few days when it arrives.

My 600 came with a large primer adapter and a thicker rod for larger caliber cases.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In short you will be happier with th Dillon due to is ease of use and speed at which the process can be done. The RCBS in my opinion is clumsy and slow. Yes I own and have used both.

How many an hour using the Dillon?
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#31]
My 600 just arrived. It does come with the adapter for 45 and the rods to handle 223, 38, 30 cal ,and 9mm
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
If you get bored, you might want to check out this mod you can do to the 600.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#33]
If you get bored, you might want to check out this mod you can do to the 600.

Way ahead of you. The mod does work!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top