Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 1:28:55 PM EDT
I've reloaded rifle cases for years and didn't really concern myself with how clean the cases were inside, but now that I'm about to start reloading handgun cases, it's got me thinking about reduced volume and effects on pressure.  After tumbling my 9, 40, and 45 cases for several hours they are nice and shiny on the outside, but there is still an amount of soot/carbon buildup inside most of the cases.  Is this something I should be worried about?  I'm planning on using Titegroup for all three loads and I want to be extra careful.    

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No problem, no one has ever cleaned out all the carbon until recently with the SS media.
Even with the dirtiest powder(Unique) the carbon flakes off before it builds up too much to make a difference.
'Borg
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No problem, no one has ever cleaned out all the carbon until recently with the SS media.
Even with the dirtiest powder(Unique) the carbon flakes off before it builds up too much to make a difference.
'Borg

Thanks, Borg.  If you don't mind, educate me on what SS media is.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
'Borg

Thanks, Borg.  If you don't mind, educate me on what SS media is.

Stainless Steel media. You use a rotory tumbler with the stailess steel pins, with water and dish soap. They come out nice n shiney
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Before and after on some really nasty cases with stainless steel...

soaked in hotwater and lemishine for 20 minutes...

Tumbled...

As for the original question, it shouldn't make any difference...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
No. Tumble dirt off the outside and reload.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you guys for putting my mind at ease about the inside of the cases.  That brass looks great, Buck!  After reading about the SS media, looks like a great idea, but for the time being I'll try using the lemishine for a pre-cleaning to see if I can add "bling" and cut down on dry tumbling time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it important for handgun cases to be clean inside?

My brass usually ain't dirty (filthy) like the pic above.

That being said..........

I don't normally clean my pistol brass (inside or outside) as long as there isn't some sort of ^%@# stuck to it.  I just pick it up off of the ground (concrete walk) and take it home.  Once at home........the cases are processed through the carbide F/L sizer die and so on and so forth.........   No trimming either.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Dirty cases are just fine. Tumble for 10 min and reload. Pistol is not that picky. The only thing is to get them clean enuf to not scratch your dies, beyond that they can be pretty dirty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Those are some good testimonials to the effectiveness of stainless media
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top