Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 12:40:44 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm looking for any tips you have for finding sources of wheel weights, and also a general idea of what a fair price should be.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What AeroE said. Also if you know any contruction workers have them grab if for ya when they can. My brother gets it when he works at hospitals and a guy I know that works for the city gets me old lead pipes he finds in the ground on water breaks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Car dealerships change tires too.

The 31# cores that are known as "Isotope lead" are similar in alloy to clip on wheel weights.   They are a whole lot cleaner and you pretty much get 100% yield on what you buy.   Do you know anyone that works at a hospital?

I would say a fair price for raw wheel weights is around $.50-.75/lb.   I would pay $.75-1/lb for the large isotope lead cores.    

Even if you have to pay $1/lb for ready-to-cast alloy, that's only 2.3 cents for enough alloy to make a 200 grain bullet.

Of course what constitutes a "fair price" depends on how badly you need it too.    

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of luck in CA.

Lead WW's have been banned from new use so people are getting all the old ones they can.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Living in California, I think you are going to have a difficult time finding wheel weights.  Many states are banning their use. California's ban went into effect January 1, 2010. I think you would have better luck lookin for other sources for casting lead.  

If I remember correctly, sometime in the next 1 to 2 years there will be a nationwide ban on lead wheel weights.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Go sign up at the site below and look in the vendor/sponsor section. Plenty of WW ingots and isotope lead for $1/lb +shipping. Living in CA this is your best and probably your only option for lead. Plus you get ready to cast ingots without having to go through the trouble of smelting and cleaning them yourself. If you lived anywhere other than a communist state I might give you different advice but this is your best bet.

Castboolits
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]

The smaller the town the better, that"s where I have had all my big scores. Had a dealership in a small town give me a full 5 gallon bucket of weights before.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Recently picked up 5-5gallon buckets of wheel weights.
It was a good score from some of the local tire shops.  They can still use lead wheel weights as long as they can get them.
Cost?  Labor to load them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top