Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 9:27:12 AM EDT
New to reloading.  Manuals seem to indicate the pistol cartridges need to be trimmed.
Read a LOT of posts, and I decided I was going to splurge and get a Giraud, but I see they only have rifle trimmers
My Lyman manual states (p. 37) "Note: Many handgun cases wear out long before any trimming is required." so does this mean trimming isn't a big deal for handgun loads???

If anything, I will probably be reloading small volumes of rifle, and can do them on my Lee Zip trim.  I plan to eventually do high volume pistol reloading, and was hoping for something quick and easy.  

What do people use to trim pistol rounds in high volume?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never trimmed any of the 1000's of pieces of pistol brass I've loaded, and probably never will.  There isn't much need for trimming regular pistol brass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Typically most every one does not trim straight wall & tapered pistol cases.  There are a few bottle neck pistol cases that with enough firings, will need trimming.
Lyman book states the experience I & many others have had.  Cases split & or primer pockets become  too loose to properly hold primer & we trash them.
Don't concern your self with trimming other than bottle neck pistol cases.  There is slight case length differences in some new pistol cases.
That variation matters if you use a "roll" crimp die.  If using a taper crimp, not a problem.  Don't over taper crimp as that reduces diameter of bullet.
Quicker so on a cast bullet than jacketed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're into punching four leaf clovers at 50 yards then trimming brass might be for you. But your not going to do that with assorted brass. Ninety-nine out of a hundred on this board have never trimmed pistol brass and never will.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Ninety-nine out of a hundred on this board have never trimmed pistol brass and never will.

I think 1911smith is being kind and conservative, probably multiply that by at least 10x... i.e. 999 out of 1,000, LOL!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I loose my pistol brass before it ever needs trimmed or wears out.

-Masta
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I trim my pistol brass.

It ensures my O.A.L and crimps remain consistent.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure I trim pistol brass....the stuff shout of XP100......but that is the exception and not the rule.  I can seen for heavy recoiling cartridges maybe.but having loaded up 44 Magnums I never have.  And, I probaly never trim a straight walled cartridge. That includes, 9mm, 45, 38. 357, and 40 SW along with the 44.....never had a problem....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't trim pistol brass..........but then again, I don't shoot bottle necked pistol cartridges.  And BTW.........I don't clean my pisol brass (under normal conditions).........they get processed through F/L carbide dies.  Plus, I'm lazy.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
So that makes 2 out of 1,000 that trim pistol brass.

Wow!  Hard core!

I knew there was a reason why I only use range pickup brass!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I will admit to trimming pistol cases when I was accuracy tripping, especially in the T/C. With my 357 Max, it made a difference @100 yards and beyond.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]
With the thousands of cases I have on hand between 9mm and .45, I'd be more inclined to crush the case and throw it in the recycle bucket. I started reloading for my pistols back in August and haven't had to trim one yet. Matter of fact, I don't even own a trimmer yet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I trim all of mine as I want the crimps consistent which in my mind makes my groups more consistent. For my handguns that headspace on the case-mouth I use the RCBS trim pro with the power drill attachment. I can trim about 30 cases before I need a short break. In a normal week's time I can trim 1000 during the commercials on my favorite programs and it only takes about twenty minutes to chamfer and deburr by hand after all have been trimmed. Also helps me feel more involved in the process and ensures the ammo isn't at fault when I miss
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Only for the MOST OCD, and I thought I was OCD - looks like I am safe! LOL!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#16]
With bottle neck cases you do get some flow of metal that resulted in a longer neck when the case is resized, so that then leads to the requirement to trim cases.

However, straight wall cases have virtually no "growth" with repeated firings, thus no trimming is needed, and in my experience the case mouth will wear out long before the case needs to be trimmed.

I have noted that some brands of brass in some pistol calibers are longer or shorter than others and I suspect that relates to the use of, lack of, or type of crimp that is used in the factory loading. But in most cases this is not enough difference to significantly effect the amount of belling that occurs in the loading process.

That said, I also tend to use, and consequently reload, primarily cases that head space on the mouth of the case (.380, 9mm x 19, .45 Auto, etc) so they are probably more consistent in that regard than other types and tend to have littel or no crimp, and almost never use a roll crimp.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#17]
There's no need.

ETA: If if you are a bullseye shooter and shooting at 50 yards just tracking brass by make and times fired gets you mostly the same affect and good consistency.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I trim my brass, handgun or rifle. With handgun stuff, I only find it necessary once. After the initial trim, all of it should remain pretty consistent assuming it's loaded and fired the same number of times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't do it & never will.  No need at all.  My SV and STI guns are minute-of-A-zone accurate to 50 yards with NO trimming ever.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've never trimmed any of the 1000's of pieces of pistol brass I've loaded, and probably never will.  There isn't much need for trimming regular pistol brass.

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
From the reccomendation of my Grandfather that's reloaded 10,000's of rounds and shot competitively, he said don't bother trimming handgun brass.  He said he might get a piece of brass that flows or elongates on one side, but he just crushes them and tosses it in the scrap bucket.

He's never steered me wrong, so I don't trim mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top