Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2011 11:17:09 AM EDT
Ok help me out guys....I am finding data ranging all over the map.

I am getting ready to load up another batch of ammo for the AR and was double checking my load data against the newest Hornady manual, Ramshots Data and a older Sierra manual. What I am seeing is one's max loads below the others starting loads. I don't have the exact numbers since I am at work.  Have the lawyers got a hold of Hornady's newest data and added more "safety factor"?

The following load is what I have loaded in the past and I am getting good results for accuracy and no high pressure signs. Does this still appear to be viable/safe??

25 Grains of TAC
55gr Hornady FMJ
LC cases mixed years
Winchester SMR
COL 2.20 2.25
5.56 chamber/barrel
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok help me out guys....I am finding data ranging all over the map.

I am getting ready to load up another batch of ammo for the AR and was double checking my load data against the newest Hornady manual, Ramshots Data and a older Sierra manual. What I am seeing is one's max loads below the others starting loads. I don't have the exact numbers since I am at work.  Have the lawyers got a hold of Hornady's newest data and added more "safety factor"?

The following load is what I have loaded in the past and I am getting good results for accuracy and no high pressure signs. Does this still appear to be viable/safe??25 Grains of TAC
55gr Hornady FMJ
LC cases mixed years
Winchester SMR
COL 2.20 2.25
5.56 chamber/barrel

I think you have your answer...

ETA:  Don't get too worried about what one books says -vs- another.  Load development is the key.  Use the books for a "starting point, nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I concur with Bowhntr6pt... if I've been using something that has been working well, I'm not likely to change just because a new book says otherwise.  (Heck I'm not likely to even look).  The only time I tend to pause is when I buy a new batch of powder and/or the powder is "new & improved", then I'll drop back a bit & reconfirm it's still good. I also tend not to load "max" in general since I look for the most accurate load and max charge usually isn't it.

As you indicated different manuals have different load ranges.  You need to look at ALL the details in the manuals you are consulting.  Often when min/max differ significantly, something like COL is different also.  There could be any number of reasons for the variation... and yes, liability concerns included.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
From Ramshot:

Powder/bullet gr/bullet man&type/start gr/start speed/max gr/max speed/ pressure/ COAL
TAC 55 HDY SPSX 21.6 2,879 24.0 3,146 54,450 2.195
TAC 55 HDY V-Max 22.2 2,909 24.7 3,179 52,660 2.260

ETA:
TAC 55 VNE FMJ 23.1 3,002 25.7 3,281 54,310 2.223

From the looks of it...you're more than fine.  load and move on...nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks folks.....Just wanted to make sure I have not missed a major news flash regarding TAC.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 26.0 gr in my 55gr loads.  You should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top