Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 6:15:27 PM EDT
Just getting ready to prime my first cases (.308) as a brand new reloader .
Using once fired Federal Gold Medal Match, which apparently has crimped primers (I thought only military ammo had crimps) and I don't have a decrimper

Would the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2 work with a Lee Hand Press?  Would my Lee shell holders work (on the Midway site it says it requires RCBS shell holders, sold seperately) since my dies are Lees?

While I'm at it, is it hard to size cases?  I had to use a LOT of force with my full length sizer, and I used plenty of lube (lee lube mixed with alcohol).  I was afraid I was going to tear the shells apart trying to get them out...

Here's the swager I want to get: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=235832
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the RCBS swager on 233. It does take quite a bit of force.  I doubt you would have an "easy" time with the hand press.  I have not used the hand press so I can not say for sure.  Sounds like you need to get a classic cast press.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
the RCBS primer pocket swedger won't work with a Lee Classic Cast press - the ram on that Lee press is oversized, and the cup that pops the case off the swedge won't go on.

Having been down the road you're on (I've bent multiple RCBS swedge tool stems), save yourself some grief, and buy a Dillion Super swedge tool.  Buy once, cry once- -it will give a lifetime of service.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The answer you your question is, 'yes."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
So you want to use this one.............

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=235832

My .02.......

Well, I had one (RCBS primer pocket swager) and it was the pitts, just too slow for me.  And, that was with a regular press.

IF it were me..........

I'd use a hand held reamer.  It's faster and the learning curve is so short.  Just insert the reamer, twist, remove the case and it's on to the next one.  It's the sort of mindless operation that could be done while watching TV.

Then........

About the resizing operation using the hand press...........

I have used LEE's hand press to process .308W brass...........it took a lot of effort to get those handles together when F/L resizing brass for my M1A.  

Anyway, that is the reason why I'd recommend LEE's cheap C press over their hand press IF money was the issue. The C press is almost the same price and so much easier to use.   Not to mention that it could be mounted.  Leaving hands free to grab cases and pull the handle..........mucho.......FASTER.

Then........

Try seating bullets while balancing cases filled with powder.  

OK, Ok, ok.........YMWV, for those that will post back that they have, "no problems."

That all being said............you want it or already have it.............good luck.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the quick replies!
I have a hand reamer on the way (the RCBS was back ordered) so I guess I'll use that, and then look into the Dillon if I need to do more volume (only have about 100 cases right now).

My goal is to get a super-duper progressive press to eventually do high volume pistol plinking reloads, as well as low volume rifle loads for accuracy.  Got the hand press figuring it would be a good way to go through each step one at a time to learn the whole process, plus I don't have a bench for reloading yet, but I'm building one.

If I did get the RCBS, what about the shell holder (still not clear on that).  Would I need to buy theirs? Seems like you would need to hold the shell "backwards" the get the primer pocket into the die.  If so, would the RCBS shell holder fit on my Lee press (I know the die threads are universal, but what about the shell holder mechanism, is that the same across the various companies?)
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick replies!
I have a hand reamer on the way (the RCBS was back ordered) so I guess I'll use that, and then look into the Dillon if I need to do more volume (only have about 100 cases right now).

My goal is to get a super-duper progressive press to eventually do high volume pistol plinking reloads, as well as low volume rifle loads for accuracy.  Got the hand press figuring it would be a good way to go through each step one at a time to learn the whole process, plus I don't have a bench for reloading yet, but I'm building one.

If I did get the RCBS, what about the shell holder (still not clear on that).  Would I need to buy theirs? Seems like you would need to hold the shell "backwards" the get the primer pocket into the die.  If so, would the RCBS shell holder fit on my Lee press (I know the die threads are universal, but what about the shell holder mechanism, is that the same across the various companies?)

The RCBS swager uses the button-mounted shellholder...nothing else to buy.  However.....

Being a new reloader I would suggest you keep the learning curve less frustrating, make your life easier, and the hobby more fun by not swaging at all....at least until you get some experience.  Swaging can have some glitches as exemplified by my post describing the single slam fire in my life.  Post #11 (I post as GW Starr on THR)  There are some really good military primer pocket reamers out there that make things really simple.  Swaging, with the RCBS product (or the Dillon product for that matter) is not a 100% sure thing every time. Sometimes the material swaged springs back (causing hard seating) or is sheared off (causing possible problems as described in my THR post .

Hornady's reamer is a good one and, if you want speed, can be mounted on an RCBS Trim Mate, a drill, or even a drill press .  RCBS's new one made for their Trim Mate also looks good and replaces their less than popular super beveler.
Hornady Pocket Reamer  
New RCBS Pocket Reamer
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top