Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 8:02:58 AM EDT
I have some Blue Dot and Zero brand 125gr JHP bullets.
I loaded 50 with 7.5gr. BD and that fills the 9mm case most of the way.
Speer #14 manual indicates a maximum load of 7.9gr BD under 124gr bullets. I'm thinking about loading 7.8gr. but when the case is that full I like to run it by someone else.
Have any of you loaded up to 7.9gr of BD under a 125gr jacketed bullet? Is it safe?
Do you like Blue Dot?

Thanks for your time.
VonBarky
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't like it for 9mm. I was getting high velocities at midrange loads for 115 gr FMJ with sparks and unburned powder. It works very well for stout 357 mag loads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It works well for fast/defensive loads.    Not as well as AA#7 in my experience, but it works well if you're looking for a fast 125 or 147 grain load.

I prefer another powder for target loads.    Something you use a lot less of.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried getting 124gr gold dots up to max and the powder was so incossistent. One shot would be at 1150fps the  next would be at 950fps.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I loaded some 124gn XTP's and worked up to 8.0gns of Blue Dot. No problems with them. I don't have a chrono so I can't say too much as far as inconsistantcies. I coundn't tell much of a difference in accuracy if that helps any... But to answer your question, yes you are safe. It's very slow burning compared to other powders listed for 9mm in the books. And as Chris said, you probably can't load enough in there to hurt yourself lol it has a much lower pressure than say bullseye or unique.

Edit: It's good for grabbing attention at the range, especially when it starts to get dark outside lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Edit: It's good for grabbing attention at the range, especially when it starts to get dark outside lol

QFT!

Slow powders through a snub-nosed 357 is glorious.  And loud.  Blue Dot is a "magnum" powder....  I really can't see using it in a semi-auto 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top