Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:32:52 PM EDT
Been loading some WC 846 and CCI large rifle standard primers in 30.06.  Noticed quite a few click bangs recently and I'm trying to figure out if it's the primers, powder or moisture in the case.  I am starting to suspect it may be the primers as I used to use Winchester LR primers and then switched to the CCI's as they were  significantly cheaper.  Never had a problem with the WRA's but it started when I used the CCI's.  Anyone have similar issues?  I'm wondering if LR Magnum would work better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds logical to me to try a magnum primer if you think you are having ignition issues with the ball powder WC846.  I bought two jugs of it a few years ago from PAT's and started with the CCI military primers and had no ignition problems.  I had read opininons the military primers were hot and ok for ball powder.  My problem was accuracy in .308 was a little past a mild load for semi-autos.  Hard on cases and probably the guns too.  I could make blaster ammo with what I found but that does not turn me on.  Some day I will try it with .223 or try factory .308 cases since I was loading with military cases with less capacity.

My guess was the lot I got was a little fast and it leads me to think it will be better in .223.

gordonm1
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes I would also Recommend Magnum primers w/WC846.  The only standard primers that I have used that worked in 30-06 were the WRA's

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top