Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2011 8:12:02 AM EDT
I think it's time to clean my dies.  The seating and crimp dies are leaving my rounds with a dark almost greasy film.  It comes off easily with a rag.  Guess my question is how do I clean them.  What do you do?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Bore Scrubber and a bottle brush, or nylon chamber brush (depending upon the caliber).

Imperial Sizing wax tends to leave wuite a bit of crud in sizing dies.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Take them apart.
Pull a old rag though to get the loose stuff.
Then scrubb them with a nylon bore brush of proper size with a patch wrapped around it, and favorite gun cleaner on it.

I clean them after each large batch.

Works good so far.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Disassemble, spray with brake cleaner, scrub with old nylon brushes, Q-Tips, pipe cleaners, as required, reassemble.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I also NuFinish the presses, powder measures, and other metallic items where oil is a no-no, at the same time I clean the dies.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Hornady one shot gun cleaner and dry lube.

Spray em out and let dry. Everytime I use them.

If they need serous cleaning then I take apart and follow above procedures.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I take them apart and run the correct size BoreSnake thru them about 3 times.  The smaller parts I just spray down and use a rag.  I rarely have to do this since I use a universal decapping die...then clean my brass before it even looks at a sizing die.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Disassemble, degrease and scrub with brake cleaner, dry, apply dry lubricant such as Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner-Degreaser and Dry Lubricant and reassemble.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Not an expert, but I've used a brush and acetone with good success.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Wait whut? There not dishwasher safe?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#10]
ultrasonic cleaner, blowdry
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it's time to clean my dies.  The seating and crimp dies are leaving my rounds with a dark almost greasy film.  It comes off easily with a rag.  Guess my question is how do I clean them.  What do you do?

Thanks in advance

I use brake cleaner to clean them, then I use CorrosionX on the dies, inside and out to add a slight lube and prevent rust.

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ultrasonic cleaner, blowdry

+1 and before I had that it was brake cleaner.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Do not put them in your tumbler!  Never underestimate the ability of tumbling media to pack itself into even the smallest grooves and pockets.  That's one mistake I won't be repeating.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
My gun cleaning solvent is Ballistol, which is oil based so it's corrosion protection too. I just use that to clean/protect. Makes it easy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Blow my dies out with starting fluid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top