Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 7:18:41 PM EDT
Picked up some 50 grain v max's to try, they where out of the 53's i wanted.

Now Why do they suggest to seat this further in compared to the 55gr/60gr vmax.

The 50gr they suggest a col of 2.200 and if i remember right dont hold me to this the 53 is 2.240.

I went ahead and put them at what hornady suggest.

Now the question is what would you do. Load them to mag length for the ar or just do the book thing and see how accurate they are that way.

I only got these since i had some gift cards so freeeeee. I have a 55gr load that is deadly, and cant wait to try the 53's.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about the 53gr V-max or BTHP?

I have 500 of the Hornady 53gr BTHP's and have been meaning to work up a load for them and was wanting to ask if anyone had a good accuracy load for them.

I've got 300 of the 53gr V-max but they are factory loaded Superformance ammo, I need to test them out as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what I was wondering, but expressed much better than I could figure out how to say it.  My guess was it had to do with how much of the bullet contacts the inside of the neck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Because the 50gr bullet has a shorter bearing surface than the 55gr or 60gr. You will be fine at 2.200. If you have some new or untrimmed cases lying around that are still 1.76" you may want to consider using those.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I figured thats what it was, and thats why i loaded to the book.

The ones i really want to try are the 53gr vmax. It seems like it would make a great coyote round out of my 16inch ar.  

I like the 55gr, but if i can get a little more distance and not have to guess at the scope as much it would be great. I dont have time to fiddle with the scope when coyote hunting out here in iowa.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top