Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 8:48:31 AM EDT
I recently purchased jacketed 158gr bullets to use in my .357 magnum.  I also plan to be using them in my .38 cases loaded to .38 pressures.  Unfortunately my reloading books do not have data for my powder type (Bullseye) in .38 pressures with 158gr jacketed bullets.  I was thinking of using the data for 158gr lead .38 special loads with with jacketed bullets.  It is my understanding that lead loads are typically lower pressure than jacketed loads and should be safe to use in this instance.  Is there a flaw in my logic anywhere?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to google it... thats probably the most popular 357mag/38spl load ever made.... 158gr LSWC.

I'd imagine something in the 3-4 gr. range would be about right with it though.  

What reloading manual are you using that it doesn't tell you a load for 158gr cast bullets?  

MIke.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You misunderstand.  I have loads for 158gr lead loads...just not jacketed loads.  Currently all I have are jacketed 158gr bullets.  Basically I am planning on loading the jacketed rounds with the data for lead loads and I was wondering if this could in any way be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Who makes the bullets?  If it's one of the major makers (Hornady, Speer, etc.) check their reloading manual(s).

BTW, you should be OK shooting at "lead" load levels... but if the loads are too light, you'll end up with a bullet stuck in the bore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Started looking for loads. Bullseye is not listed with 158 gr jacketed bullets in 38 Special very often in reloading manuals.

This is a clue that Bullseye is not the most suitable powder in this jacketed bullet weight in 38 special.

Speer 10,  page 363 does list 4.3 grs Bullseye for 813 fps with their 158 gr jacketed bullet. (start load)

4.9 grs Bullseye is listed as a +P load for 850 fps.

Thanks for the info.  I know that Bullseye isn't the best for everything, but I'm currently loading 9mm and 45 as well.  As I use bullseye in both these loads I'm just trying to keep things simple for now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I realise that folks want to keep things simple but if you are going to take the time to reload you might as well have more than one bottle of powder on the shelf.
Keep the cover on the can when not in use and under reasonable conditions and it will last for a good many years.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top