Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 5:01:01 AM EDT
Consider bolt action, near max loads, full length sizing, 'average' commercial brass.

1. On average, how many times should a case be reloaded?
2. How to determine when a case can't or shouldn't be reloaded again?
3. How does neck sizing only affect case life?
4. What brand of brass lasts the longest?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If you size it to just fit your chamber, it should last the longest. Fire middle of the road propellent charges, anything run at the ragged edge will wear out faster, if you want more speed, get a bigger case. And neck sizing helps brass life, because you aren't expanding ( firing fills/seals the chamber ) and "shrinking" ( full length sizing puts the brass back to a smaller dimension) the body of the brass all the time.

And the brand of rifle please. I have a great article at home, on reloading the .308... the author reloaded ALL the available 165-168gr bullets, with all the available brass, all the available primers...etc.... The overall differences in all the variables ( components) was startling. I'll look it up tonight.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I failed to mention - Rem 700 SPS.  

When do you know its time to throw the case away?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I failed to mention - Rem 700 SPS.  

When do you know its time to throw the case away?

Split necks, signs of case head separation, loose primer pockets.

308 brass will last a loooong time in my experience.  Even at max loads and FL sizing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Consider bolt action, near max loads, full length sizing, 'average' commercial brass.

1. On average, how many times should a case be reloaded?

Only as many times as it is safe to do so.  I would guess a 308 case is good for about ten firings but it is dependant upon many things in your reloading process.  

2. How to determine when a case can't or shouldn't be reloaded again?

After a few firings and resizings, you should check for incipient case head separation.  One way to do this is to use the scratch tool method.  If there is significant thinning near the case head, toss it out and get ready to replace them all.  Once one goes, the others will surely follow.

3. How does neck sizing only affect case life?

It should improve case life but it's not a guarantee.  You can still get split necks. You can still get case head separations.  It also depends upon how much you are sizing the neck and how much/whether you crimp.

4. What brand of brass lasts the longest?

The brass you take best care of lasts the longest.  You can lose any brass in a few firings if you are oversizing it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I FL size for my savage 10FP and my friend does for his 700 as well...

I think he has brass that is probably on its 10th + reload... mines appraoching that too and its stil running strong, accurate and I haven't thrown away any cases yet... and I load max + loads in it.

I us hornady match brass... hes been using Win and remington.

MIke.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Brass will last even longer if it's properly annealed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't disagree with anything said in any of the above posts.  There's nothing really definitive there, but good reasonable advice.  One of the best short reads on .308 is from 6mmBr.com.  They answer many .308 questions very well.  Especially note their advice on Sizer dies.  As for the brass that lasts the longest, many swear by Lapua.  I Like Winchester because its almost as good and costs 40% less.  Federal brass while good, is softer and results in loose primer pockets sooner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Case life is related to brand, Federal SUCKS probably the shortest case life, Machine gun fired mil spec sucks due being fired in sloppy chambers etc, and how you size the brass and care for it is another thing.

For most purpsoses without investing bushing dies, carbide expander balls, and head space measuring tools to aid in setting up FL sizer, and annealing....
I would say 5 to six reloads.  But, if you learn to treat your brass right well you can extend the case life.  I have 19 reloads on 1 lot of 308 Win Lapua brass.
It looks great, primer pockets are snug.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top