Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2011 11:34:28 PM EDT
I am in the case preparation phase of approx .1200 rounds of American Eagle XM193.  If I am not mistaken, this is already once fired brass before it is manufactured,  Now, my brass has 2 firings.  From what I can tell, the primers are crimped, so I bought an RCBS Super Swage.  I ran about 10 rounds through the swager, and wanted to see if I was getting the job done right by priming a few cases that just went through the swager.  Everything feels good and the primers seat nicely.  My dad is helping me, and he thought, just for the hell of it, to try priming a few rounds that have NOT been through the swager.  When seating these, they did not feel any differently than the ones that went through the swager, they seat exactly the same; flush and ready to go.

So, my question is, does American Eagle XM193 already have the crimp removed?  I plainly see a crimp ring, but my Winchester primers went in identically between swaged cases and non-swaged cases.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, if they are remanufactured brass, the crimp would already be removed when american eagle loaded it.  Since it has the crimp, it's really once fired.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the primers seating in unswaged cases.  Might be a very light primer crimp so you don't have to swage.  Bonus for you in my opinion.  Resize and prime then have fun
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am in the case preparation phase of approx .1200 rounds of American Eagle XM193.  If I am not mistaken, this is already once fired brass before it is manufactured,  Now, my brass has 2 firings.  From what I can tell, the primers are crimped, so I bought an RCBS Super Swage.  I ran about 10 rounds through the swager, and wanted to see if I was getting the job done right by priming a few cases that just went through the swager.  Everything feels good and the primers seat nicely.  My dad is helping me, and he thought, just for the hell of it, to try priming a few rounds that have NOT been through the swager.  When seating these, they did not feel any differently than the ones that went through the swager, they seat exactly the same; flush and ready to go.

So, my question is, does American Eagle XM193 already have the crimp removed?  I plainly see a crimp ring, but my Winchester primers went in identically between swaged cases and non-swaged cases.

Any thoughts?

They should NOT be fired prior to manufacturing.  The marks you see are annealing marks, and don't indicate that it has been reloaded.

Was the primer noticeably harder to remove than a known non-crimped round?  Take a paper clip and run it up the side of the primer pocket, and see if you can feel the "lip" from crimping.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the headstamp on this brass?   Never heard of AE factory reloads I have a load of LC brass that has a very lite primer crimp.  In fact its so lite that most if not all wouldn't need to be swaged.  But it gets swaged anyway.

On another note I have seen Black Hills reloads on WCC brass that the crimp was swaged out of.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The headstamp on the brass is L C on one side and either 0 9 or 1 0 on the opposite side.  Out of the 50 or so cases I checked on the swager, ALL of them fit onto the spud with little to no pressure, leading me to believe that they are not crimped.  But, I see a definate crimp ring on the brass.  Maybe there is indeed a crimp but a very light one at that, one requiring no swaging.  Maybe I will just do one turn with the chamfer/reaming tool and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The headstamp on the brass is L C on one side and either 0 9 or 1 0 on the opposite side.  Out of the 50 or so cases I checked on the swager, ALL of them fit onto the spud with little to no pressure, leading me to believe that they are not crimped.  But, I see a definate crimp ring on the brass.  Maybe there is indeed a crimp but a very light one at that, one requiring no swaging.  Maybe I will just do one turn with the chamfer/reaming tool and call it good.

Yep that LC that I have is 2010LC with out the NATO Cross.  I would have to say your brass is once fired though.  It will not hurt to swage all of it .  It uniforms the primer pocket too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd suspect that the brass was ex-Military surplus stuff (NOT virgin brass from LC)  reloaded by a re-manufacturer.  Thus, the military crimp would have been removed when it was processed by the ammo re-maufacturer.

IF it was/is virgin LC brass that was sold as surplus........well then, maybe the crimp was light or there was some other problem that did not past muster.    Hey.......SURPLUS is SURPLUS for all kinds of reasons.  

Whatever........

As long as there wasn't a SAFETY issue........IF you could seat a primer into the used brass w/o using a decrimper (reamer or swage).........well, you could save a step.

ME.........I like to ream the primer pockets on all of my military headstamped cases (or when I suspect the brass was crimped or when somewhat tight fitting).   Once done.........it's done.  Not to mention that the reamer somewhat "uniforms" the pocket and puts a chamfer on the opening.

BTW..........swage or reamer method.........it's your choice.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#7]
XM193 brass is NEW and it's very common for you to be able to prime it without removing the crimp.  The XM brass very often has a really light crimp.

Just yesterday I was hand processing a handful of XM193 that I took out of the factory box myself.  When removing what little crimp there was on the brass, it felt like I had already de-crimped it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top