Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 11:13:00 AM EDT
At a recent gun show i bought some aa 2520, 95 grain VMax, and cci 450. This is probably going to be my paper puncher and my hunting round.

I really dont know that much about reloading tho so does any one have any tips about this like how much powder should i use?

What kind of accuracy should i expect?

With this bullet and powder what is going to be my max range on hunting?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The 95 VMAX is good for blowing up varmits like PDs and Coyotes.  But, there is probably a better hunting round for larger game, like the 139 grain SST with controlled expansion.

[ETA]  You should do some reading and browsing before settling on your cartridge configuration.  Get a "ABCs of Reloading" recent edition.  Get a Speer #14 or Hornady or Lyman or Accurate Arms reloading manual (book) and see what they recommend for the Grendel.  Also Hodgdon has an online powder recipe database for about all calibers and bullets, but only features their powder IMR, Hodgdon, and Winchester.  Alliant probably has some online resources for you to use as well.

All AA lists for the 95 VMAX in their online data is the 2230.   I don't see 2520 show up until 120 grain and up 6.5 grendel.  I hope you got the long 24" barrel version.  That is good for a few hundred more FPS.  If you have not opened the 2520 you may want to trade it for 2230.[ETA] or trade for a heavier 120+ grain bullet.

The 2520 is a slower burning powder than the 2230, obviously.  So, the 95 grain projectile will be out of a 20" bbl muzzle before the powder stops burning.  A longer barrel will help that situation some.   A heavier projectile like the 120 grain accelerates slower (for the same chamber pressure), so the longer burn powder is a better match for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I do have a 24 inch barrel. What about neck shots on white tail with the VMax. Its description says it explodes rapidly even at low velocities and reviews claim superb accuracy and velocities so with my 24 inch barrel i figured that a somewhat slower burning powder with the 95 VMax would maximize my velocity and damage especially in a neck shot. I may be wrong but thats what my thought process was.

I would have gotten a different bullet but the gun show only had 95 VMax and 140 gr which i have heard stay away from with the grendel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At a recent gun show i bought some aa 2520, 95 grain VMax, and cci 450. This is probably going to be my paper puncher and my hunting round.

I really dont know that much about reloading tho so does any one have any tips about this like how much powder should i use?

What kind of accuracy should i expect?

With this bullet and powder what is going to be my max range on hunting?

Accurate doesn't list 2520 in their data for the 6.5 Grendel.  You might try calling them and asking for their recommendation.

What loads does your reloading manual list?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
AA-2520 is too slow for the 95gr V-Max.

I use it for 120gr to 130gr bullets.

For the 90 to 100gr bullets, I use AA-2460 or Benchmark.

Bill Alexander has load data on 65Grendel.com.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you go to the 6.5 Grendel forum you'll get some suggestions, as already posted Alexander Arms' loading data is available too.

The major bullet makers haven't published data for the Grendel yet. Probably the next edition released will have it, who knows when that's likely to ocurr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top