Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 1:40:08 PM EDT
I've got a bunch of .44 magnum I've been saving. Got the gear to start reloading and started tumbling my brass. I guess some of it got shot in the rain or snow because it's kind of tarnished. Looks like carbon. I have tumbled it for hours using walnut shell media. This cleaned it up a bunch but not entirely. When I scratched at it with a knife you could see clean brass underneath. It is also totally smooth on the outside where the discolorations are.

It looks safe to use but thought I would ask the hive. None of my friends reload.I tried to take pics but the stuff doesnt show up in a photo. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
won't hurt it. I load tarnished 9mm brass al the time. Just make sure it is tarnish and not corroded. If it bothers you just use a real fine steel wool and touch it up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll reload just fine.  If you want to remove any oxidation, soak the brass in a solution of Lemishine.  Do a search and you'll find several threads on the subject.  You can pick Lemishine up at a grocery store in the dish detergent isle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got a bunch of .44 magnum I've been saving. Got the gear to start reloading and started tumbling my brass. I guess some of it got shot in the rain or snow because it's kind of tarnished. Looks like carbon. I have tumbled it for hours using walnut shell media. This cleaned it up a bunch but not entirely. When I scratched at it with a knife you could see clean brass underneath. It is also totally smooth on the outside where the discolorations are.

It looks safe to use but thought I would ask the hive. None of my friends reload.I tried to take pics but the stuff doesnt show up in a photo. Thanks

gpt photos OP
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top