Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 8:27:12 PM EDT
I haven't done this, but I'm wondering what would happen if one were to double charge a pistol case. I'm sure someone out there has done it. This isn't as big of an issue with rifle, because you can't fit 2x the powder in the case, but in a standard .45 case you can fit at least 3x the powder.

I recently bought an RCBS powder checker die and it got me to thinking what would happen if I were to miss a double charge. Any thoughts? Maybe not you, but has this happened to "a friend" of yours?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Ever seen a $ 250.00 1911 barrel double in size because of a pressure spike ? Or how about a Glock barrel that split in two inside the chamber. Taking the reciever with it. There is no excuse for a squibb round or double charged round. period.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what you're askin, OP.  

If you're asking, "what would happen", the answer is:  the gun would be fucked up beyond recognition.  (FUBAR).  That's why we're careful when we reload.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're asking what it looks like, then check out this link for pictures.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1089181
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
This is why I use large volume powders for all my pistol reloading.

The .45 ACP case 'may' hold 16 grains of AA #5, and the 10mm case 'may' hold 20 grains of AA #7––-but I know that I won't be able to seat a bullet properly with a double charge.

The down side to this is that I only get half as many loads from a pound of high volume powder than I'd get with a low volume powder......but it's still cheaper than buying WWB so I feel that my self-imposed safety margin is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow. That's pretty crazy. I knew it would be bad, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad.

Only more of a reason to be extra careful.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Powder cop FTW!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow. That's pretty crazy. I knew it would be bad, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad.

Only more of a reason to be extra careful.

Only more of a reason to be extra careful put an eye ball inside of each case before seating your bullet.

<eta> squibb loads or under charged loads can be just as, if not more dangerous than a double charge and more likely in occurance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure what you're askin, OP.  

If you're asking, "what would happen", the answer is:  the gun would be fucked up beyond recognition.  (FUBAR).  That's why we're careful when we reload.

I prefer the term RUD - Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#10]
A double charge of AA#5 in your Springfield TRP 45 will sure mess up your day. Brass fragments become green zits

Oakley shooting glasses saved my eyes.

My rules since that day, 10 years ago.

Never get in a hurry reloading
Look in each case before seating a bullet
If someone interrupts you, or the phone goes off, stop immediately
If you think something went wrong with the process, stop immediately.
Segregate reloads by lots, with date, data information, number of rounds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It'll buff out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hey, I know that Guy!

Note - I loaded those rounds by trickling charges onto a scale. I also do a visual check of powder in the cartridges before I seat bullets.

I'm not denying that it looks like a double charge.

I wasn't very comfortable using W231 in that cartridge - it was a tiny amount of powder in a big case. I recently got some Unique and I was happy with the results in the Colt, so I was shooting up the W231 loads I still had.

I'll tell you this - double charge or not, I'd rather that I never see another gun blow up. I wasn't scratched, but I was lucky.

LDI

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The .45 ACP case 'may' hold 16 grains of AA #5, and the 10mm case 'may' hold 20 grains of AA #7––-but I know that I won't be able to seat a bullet properly with a double charge.

The down side to this is that I only get half as many loads from a pound of high volume powder than I'd get with a low volume powder......but it's still cheaper than buying WWB so I feel that my self-imposed safety margin is worth it.

I agree with using bulky powders and always try to do the same. Bullseye might be great stuff, but 3 grains of it doesn't take up much space in a .38 spl....it would be easy to slip an extra three in there without noticing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#14]
In a 1911 45 auto.
Usually the case blows out in the unsupported part, venting through the mag well.  Gas will come through the ejector clearance in the slide, which to reports looks like fire coming at you.  You will get splinters from the wood grips, the magazine bottom will blow out, ejecting the spring, follower and extra rounds.   If you have safety glasses on you will probably keep your vision.  In my limited sample ( none of whhich were mine)  2 out of 3 broke the slide at the slide stop,    
Usually a .38 Super will not crack the slide although I'm not sure why, but the other damage is the same, and it seems to happen with more regularity.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's exactly my thinking.  Plus AA#5 meters very well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Back in the late 70's my dad got out of 3 gun bullseye, he had a gold cup .45, gold cup .38 WC, and a colt woodsmans target.  Local game warden bought the 38 Gold Cup and about 6 months later blew it up with some ammo loaded on an old Star progressive. Never got to see the gun, but the warden had a bandage on his hand for a month. When in collge in the late 70's a friend at Lassen JC was shooting a S&W triple Lock in .45 LC with british proof marks  blew the top three cylinders and the top strap with a double charge of bullseye. double charges can be very hazardous to your health
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top