Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 4:23:38 PM EDT
Just did this to 2 cases trying to expand the case mouth using lee expander die. Seemed to require a little more force than normal then snap. Never done this before. Any ideas?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Way too much bell?  Unscrew the expander top until it's almost out of the die, then raise a sized piece of brass up to the top and then screw the expander back down until it touches the brass, lower the brass then tighten the expander another 1/4 turn...you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Way too much bell?  Unscrew the expander top until it's almost out of the die, then raise a sized piece of brass up to the top and then screw the expander back down until it touches the brass, lower the brass then tighten the expander another 1/4 turn...you should be GTG.

yea just realized this after I posted it. Thanks just managed to wreck 2 of my 454 casull brass in the process
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
First one came out fine, the only thing i think i could have did isnt didnt go full stroke with the first one.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My first thought was case length
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what's happening to your cases, but whatever it is also messed up your camera.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#7]
way too much bell per above.  unscrew the belling part of the die all the way up, insert a case into the shell holder, go full stroke, then screw down the belling assemblly until it stops, then raise the press handle, turn the belling stem down 1/4 turn, lower the press handle, etc etc until you have just the right amount of belling.

If you run out of adjustment, raise the belling stem all the way up again, loosen the die lock ring, turn the die down 2-3 full turns and try again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top