Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 4:26:47 PM EDT
I have a lot of .270 Win Remington brass which just completed eight cycles.  Loads have been towards the warm end.  Neck sized except full length resized for the first and the fifth firings.  Trimmed to length at the fifth as well.  Necks look fine and they pass the paper clip test.  Primer pockets still tight.  .270 brass is plentiful here, but this looks to me good to go.  Where is the prudent place to stop?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What the hell is the paper clip test?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Go till you see pressure signs or any other case failure. THen get rid of the whole lot. At least thats what I would do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If it looks good, use it.  All upside, no downside.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go till you see pressure signs or any other case failure. THen get rid of the whole lot. At least thats what I would do.

When you finally get case faliure, doesn't that damage the gun?  Or will you just get a squib round?  Or something totally different?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
You are most likely going to have a neck split which is no big deal.  If you haven't been overworking the brass (which I doubt you have been if you have 8 firings) you shouldn't have to worry about incipient head case seperation which is a big deal.  Since they all passed the paper clip test, I'd load them up another time or two then toss them all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a .17 fireball split  I opened the bolt and the brass was split in two . It didn't shoot any different. Looking at my brass the other one started to split but stayed together. The contraption below is how I removed the top of the case. I think there were six reloads including once fired as a .223 case.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 30-06 cases with more than 12 firings. When one splits I figure its a just weakness in that particular casing, which is often the case because the whole lot usually continues for quite a few more firings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
had guys get 12+ firings out of brass.  depends on the brass really.  many will just keep going until they show a split.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
You are confirming what I thought.  This lot should be good for at least two more cycles.  Split necks are not a big deal, but I don't want to have to deal with case head seperations.  I hate to throw away fire formed brass if it's still GTG.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Here are some LC cases that went for 10 reloads and still look good, and these were fired from a M1A, the one on the far left is once fired

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:14:29 AM EDT
[#13]
anneal them, full length resize them, then do the paper clip test again and reload them some more
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I would respectfully disagree that case head separations (CHS) are a big deal.  I find that they are a product of the gun, either it has CHS as a common failure mode, or it doesn't.  I only have one rifle, a Savage 99, that suffers CHS, and I have had maybe half a dozen cases fail this way in that gun.  It was completely uneventful each time, and I never realized there was a problem until I saw the case.  I have never had a CHS in any rifle other than the Savage.

The only case failures that are a big deal are case head failures, which don't seem to be caused by use, but rather defective cases.  I have never seen one of those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top