Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 9:26:03 AM EDT
I just recently got into reloading, currently I have only been reloading .223 and now I am looking to reload my 45 long colt.

The question is what is the correct bullet diameter to buy? Wiki lists .454 (lead), .451 (jacketed), others say .452 but that it can vary depending on the gun that you are putting the rounds in.

If that does in fact matter I am going to use these in my Taurus Judge. I assume there are others reloading for this gun what are people using?

-Mike

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm loading 300 gr .454's into my LC's and they fire just fine. Make sure you flare out the cartridge a bit, otherwise you'll shave off some of the bullet.

Lyman lists max bullet dia as .456" so I guess either is fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The gun does matter, or to be more specific, the dimensions of the chamber throats and groove diameter are what matter. If  the chamber throats are .452" and the bore is .451", then use a .452" bullet.

The only guns that should need .454" or larger bullets are the old Cults, and possibly some of the early S&W's. That being said, manufacturing errors do escape from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not go to wiki for reloading info

ever

they are open to anyone posting anything, right wrong or indifferent

use a bullet manufactures site, powder manufactures site or get a book
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The gun does matter, or to be more specific, the dimensions of the chamber throats and groove diameter are what matter. If  the chamber throats are .452" and the bore is .451", then use a .452" bullet.

The only guns that should need .454" or larger bullets are the old Cults, and possibly some of the early S&W's. That being said, manufacturing errors do escape from time to time.

+1

Excellent post, it's the gun that matters.  My Colt Peacemaker 3rd gen. cylinder is .453  I've been using .452 bullets with great results.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  
Excellent post, it's the gun that matters.  My Colt Peacemaker 3rd gen. cylinder is .453  I've been using .452 bullets with great results.

Cast or jacketed? If they're jacketed, you should get pretty good accuracy. If they're cast of softer alloy, they will probably bump up a bit to fill the throat.

Any idea what the groove diameter is?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Generally speaking .45 Colt has not been .454 since before WWII.  Now if the throats are cut large, then fatter bullets often will shoot better even if the actual barrel diameter is smaller.

You can always slug the bore, and check the throats with some pin gauges, but if the gun was made within the past 80 years or so I'd just load .452 lead and call it good.  I'm partial to H. Universal in the .45 Colt myself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The way to find out the correct bullet size for your particular firearm is to slug your bore and cylinders.  That way you'll know what size bullet to buy for your particular gun.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
How do you slug a chamber / barrel?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do you slug a chamber / barrel?

Drive a soft piece of lead through it then measure

Here is an example of how to do a rifle http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top