Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 6:55:26 AM EDT
I do not see much in the way of shotgun reloading mentioned on this site.
Where should I go to get good shotgun reloading advise (this is my primary firearm source ) if not here?
Have been thinking of Mec Reloading for the 12 and 20 gauge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
The reloading forum at Shotgun World is full of knowledgeable, friendly people.  They will tell you to buy a shotshell manual first though, if you don't have one.  They will also tell you to search their forum, as your question has probably been answered before.

But, we do have a few shotshell reloaders here, so ask away.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The reloading forum at Shotgun World is full of knowledgeable, friendly people. They will tell you to buy a shotshell manual first though, if you don't have one.  They will also tell you to search their forum, as your question has probably been answered before.

Excelent advise!!
Thanks, I forgot.
Lyman has been mentioned most often, do you agree?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I did a brain dump earlier this year on shotgun reloading, hope  you find it useful

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=299960
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did a brain dump earlier this year on shotgun reloading, hope  you find it useful

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=299960

Yes, marvelous and seeing that that reminds me the Winchester 209's are great for the muzzleloader.
Looking for intercompatibility in reloading and muzzleloading.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Looking for intercompatibility in reloading and muzzleloading.

Casting is the main one besides the 209 primers.

Small caliber muzzleloader balls= buckshot
Home cast shotgun slugs are awfully close to the dimensions for Revolutionary war muskets.
Most BP smoothbore muskets can be set up as shotguns with the right wads.
The ability to cut your own felt wadding is also useful for both disciplines.

Most of the reloading for shotguns is specialty reloading,and therefore found in specialty reloading forums. Waterfowl guys are the experts at steel and NT shot reloading, casters talk about buckshot and slug loading, trap and skeet guys go over the particulars for small shot reloading with light and handicap loads,etc.

Remington gun club loads are so cheap these days,and shot is so expensive, that few folks reload just for cost savings alone.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless you're loading loads you can not find in stores, you will not match the price of MFG boxed shotgun ammo.

It's just not cost effective.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Assaultrifler, that is one beautiful piece of work, well done Sir, thanks for sharing.
Poodleshooter, good insights, thanks.
Boosted98gsx, I am rying to get ready. A lot of essential people and jobs were determined to be just not cost effective and look where we are now. Take a moment to appreciate the wisdom of Assaultrifler and Poodleshooter. What if prices quadrupled in the next month and a squad of Zombies wanted your veggie garden next summer, gonna call 911? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Suggest you get ready friend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reloading forum at Shotgun World is full of knowledgeable, friendly people. They will tell you to buy a shotshell manual first though, if you don't have one.  They will also tell you to search their forum, as your question has probably been answered before.

Excelent advise!!
Thanks, I forgot.
Lyman has been mentioned most often, do you agree?

I'm new to shotgun loading and just finished reading Lyman's 5th edition.  WELL worth it!

It covers pretty much everything including bird, buck, slugs, lead, steel, bismuth, and hevi-shot.  Tons of load data too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless you're loading loads you can not find in stores, you will not match the price of MFG boxed shotgun ammo.

Run the numbers and see for yourself.

Much like metallic reloading, the ways you save money are:
1) Buy in bulk.  8 pounds kegs, thousands of primers, etc.  

2) The more exotic the caliber/gauge, the more savings you'll realize.  You'll save more loading for .454 Casull or 28 gauge than you will loading for 9mm or 12 gauge.

3) The more specialized the load, the more savings you'll realize.  You'll save more loading match-grade .308 with A-Max bullets or 1 1/2 oz of #6 at 1250 fps than buying it off the shelf.  

4) You need to be an avid shooter to recoup your costs in a timely manner.  The guy who buys a box of deer or turkey ammo, fills his tag, and mothballs his gun for the year won't recover his cost of equipment as quickly as the guy who shoots 500 rounds of assorted ammo each month.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Assaultrifler, that is one beautiful piece of work, well done Sir, thanks for sharing.
Boosted98gsx, I am rying to get ready. A lot of essential people and jobs were determined to be just not cost effective and look where we are now. Take a moment to appreciate the wisdom of Assaultrifler and Poodleshooter. What if prices quadrupled in the next month and a squad of Zombies wanted your veggie garden next summer, gonna call 911? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Suggest you get ready friend.

Again, due to current market prices, it is better for you to buy and horde shotgun ammo, rather than buy the parts needed to make your own. The latter would cost you far more.

Quoted:
Quoted:

2) The more exotic the caliber/gauge, the more savings you'll realize.  You'll save more loading for .454 Casull or 28 gauge than you will loading for 9mm or 12 gauge.

3) The more specialized the load, the more savings you'll realize.  You'll save more loading match-grade .308 with A-Max bullets or 1 1/2 oz of #6 at 1250 fps than buying it off the shelf.  

4) You need to be an avid shooter to recoup your costs in a timely manner.  The guy who buys a box of deer or turkey ammo, fills his tag, and mothballs his gun for the year won't recover his cost of equipment as quickly as the guy who shoots 500 rounds of assorted ammo each month.

I am aware of all these scenarios. If you're shooting a standard caliber (20 or 12 or even 10 ga) unless you buy HUGE quantities, you will, in the current market, be better off just buying MFG loaded ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, due to current market prices, it is better for you to buy and horde shotgun ammo, rather than buy the parts needed to make your own. The latter would cost you far more.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I am aware of all these scenarios. If you're shooting a standard caliber (20 or 12 or even 10 ga) unless you buy HUGE quantities, you will, in the current market, be better off just buying MFG loaded ammunition.

The load I shoot is not easily found at stores, and is around $15 per box when I do see it. I'm loading it for about the same as what a box of Win AA or Rem STS loads usually cost. To be perfectly honest, I could load more inexpensively and still get roughly the same performance.

Promo loads are not target loads and very rarely deliver the same performance. If the OP wants better ammo at less expense, he's going to have to load it himself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

buckshot and slugs, i disagree
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top