Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 12:15:29 PM EDT
Hey Guys,  I just got back from the shooting range.  Someone ditched over 100 new nicklel plated cases.  I have loaded hundreds of .357 brass cases but have no experience with nickel cases.  I load with RCBS carbide sizing dies and just wondered if there is any special precautions to take or if they and not good to reload.  Thanks for any help you can give me
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They reload fine, they just don't last as long.  I've been told that attempts to anneal the cases cause the nickel plating to come off in places, it being more brittle than the brass under it. (hear-say only)
Others probably have direct experience.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Very slippery.  At first I avoided them.  Now I like them
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I like them just fine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They load just like brass, no special prep needed.

Very slick, I like them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
load them up then you'll have  your experience with them.

Nickel brass shines up extra nice vs. brass brass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I like nickel plated cases if for no other reason than, that they clean up easier. I think they also resist corrosion a little better than brass.
As for wear out, I have so much range brass that it doesn't really matter to me.
Performance wise I see no difference.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys for the info.  I will load them up and see how they work for me.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They reload fine, they just don't last as long.  I've been told that attempts to anneal the cases cause the nickel plating to come off in places, it being more brittle than the brass under it. (hear-say only)

Others probably have direct experience.

I have had "some" luck annealing nickel. However I for a long time thought I had made about 40-50 of these (7mmTCU from Rem nickel 223) but have not been able find them and thought they got lost when I moved. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I ever did make them. (IIRC I do have a reloading label that says nickel)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top