Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 7:09:42 AM EDT
I have a small primer uniformer on my RCBS case prep center.  and I just started to prep some .223 brass

with the uniformer also remove a crimp? I only ask b.c if seams as if the uniformer will grab and cut more on some cases then on other cases .

was just curious if this tool will try and cut out a crimp if its present.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  Even though the uniformer may cut a little (its cutting some of the crimp) then slip in to cut the inside, the lip of the crimp will remain and cause problems when seating a primer.

Ream (cut brass) or swage (move brass) then uniform.

I use the Hornady reamer attached to a Redding power adapter and chuck it up in a drill (its a 1/4 adapter).  I also use the Redding PPU.  The PPU came with an adapter and I had ordered a second one for the reamer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure your brass is decrimped before you use the uniformer.  Even if a little crimp is left over the tool will grab, and the result is marred side walls in the primer pocket, which in turn could cause primer gas leakage.

One of the weaknesses of any uniformer used on the Trim Mate or even by hand is, a good job is only achieved if you are careful to place the brass straight in vertically...anything else will make the tool grab the brass and bang up the walls.  I think this is the reason RCBS chose to use a low speed/torque motor in the Trim Mate to lessen the damage to the pockets.  

If you do experience the "case grab" let go of the case and turn off the machine....carefully remove the case, examine it for leftover crimp, use a reamer if need be, and try it again.

RCBS's wire pocket cleaner is also designed to go straight in.  It's effective, but don't angle it and scratch the side walls.  Minor scratches don't seem to hurt anything, but if you are a "bull in the china closet" type of guy, use some restraint.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
............. Minor scratches don't seem to hurt anything, but if you are a "bull in the china closet" type of guy, use some restraint.

I always wonder about the outcome when people use drill presses for these things
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
............. Minor scratches don't seem to hurt anything, but if you are a "bull in the china closet" type of guy, use some restraint.

I always wonder about the outcome when people use drill presses for these things

Shudder.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I put the Hornady Reamer on my Trim Mate as well as the uniformer.  Ream first then uniform the pocket. Works great and the Hornady tool won't over-cut the pocket.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
great! thanks a lot guys!  appreciate it.

i only prepped 30 cases and then decided to stop and check.  ill have to get a reamer and put it in one of my stations to make sure

does the reamer self stop once the crimp is cut out or will it blow through the entire PP?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The Hornady reamer self stops against the web of the case, doesn't actually cut into it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=253550

eta:  using a chamfer tool WILL cut way into the pocket.  The cutter angle is not angled enough in the right direction and there is no stop
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? I do it all the time and do not have brass catching the uniformer.  Of course, I always insert the brass over the uniformer in line with the uniformer axis.  If you are a klutz you can always wear gloves.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? I do it all the time and do not have brass catching the uniformer.  Of course, I always insert the brass over the uniformer in line with the uniformer axis.  If you are a klutz you can always wear gloves.

It's true that on a drill press you have the where-with-all to make sure the case is presented perfectly aligned, and that certainly can be the advantage you need.  But if you're depending on a hand held presentation, then it's easy to present it slightly skewed, and then the torque of the machine can certainly do damage in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true that on a drill press you have the where-with-all to make sure the case is presented perfectly aligned, and that certainly can be the advantage you need.  But if you're depending on a hand held presentation, then it's easy to present it slightly skewed, and then the torque of the machine can certainly do damage in a hurry.

That's what I'm dealing with now. I'll set the round down on the uniformer and especially if its crimped and not presented perfectly true then it will grab hard and ill pull it off and try again.      Is the round garbage after this happens

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Tools/P5310450.jpg

Hornady reamer in near drill, PP uniformer in far drill.

Great for small batches, and much faster than the too slow Trim Mate.

With the Trim Mate, my hands start to ache from all the pushing down waiting for the tool to cut.

I know the feeling, I had to take a break after the few I did today.  definitely wont be doing 100000000 cases straight through!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top