Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 1:37:11 PM EDT
I accidentally loaded 100 rounds of plinking 45 acp for my 1911 with large rifle primers instead of large pistol primers.

They are mixed in with the good ones.

If I shoot them...

Will they function in a 1911 without problems?

Will they slam fire?

Will there be any problems during ignition?

Or should I find them and disassemble?

Onibaba

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Lg Rifle primers and Lg Pistol primers have different dimensions.  Considering the 45 ACP is such a low pressure round I would just shoot them up.  If they fit in the pockets just fine and are not loose or setting high ... then there shouldn't be anything wrong.

Sarg

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Smart thing is to pull down the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC 1911 Smith said he used Small Rifle in a .40.

WTH - what's the worse that can happen?

We're talking a whole $40 right
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
A chrono should be handy right about now.  Loaded some 400+ rounds with small rifle primers. Sure enough. We chrono;d them and noticed a 20fps difference between small rifle and small pistol. Large rifle primers will work fine if your firing pin or striker fired pistol can ignite them. Rifle primers have a thicker cup. ... I say you should be fine, that's if your load is somewhere mid range to low.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Small rifle primers are DIMENSIONALLY IDENTICAL to small pistol primers.  This is NOT TRUE of large rifle and pistol primers.  One (can't remember which) is taller than the other, leading to high primers in one incorrect application and too-deep primers in the other.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I primed about a dozen .45 cases with LR by accident a few days ago.  I noticed they weren't seating properly and a few were quite high.
Comparing LP and LR visually, you can see the difference.  I hand cycled the primed cases and used them like a cap gun.
My concern was/is that if they are seating high, they might cause a slam fire.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If you loaded a mild-mid load, they should be fine to shoot. If you went heavy, pull the bullets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you loaded a mild-mid load, they should be fine to shoot. If you went heavy, pull the bullets.

Wrong.  Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers.  They won't seat below flush and are UNSAFE in pistol rounds like this one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Time to get to work  with a Kinetic Bullet Puller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top