Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 8:40:03 PM EDT
I've been trying to figure out all the cool things you can do to the LNL AP, and have come up with this so far:

Roller handle and bullet tray that UltimateReloader makes

Powder Funnel Universal PTX

A few guys have modded the Dillon low primer alarm to work on the Hornady
There's the good old glue a dime under the primer seater, and then today I found this...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76573

I've seen a few other things, such as polishing or deburring parts of the press, but what else is out there to trick out the LNL AP?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#1]
That's cool, thanks!

I don't bell in the powder measure yet but when I start I'll definately be doing this.  Nice trick.  This weekend I did a bunch of brass prep and was thinking of ways to help here and there, but so far nothing has worked out.  

My first idea was to mount a primer seater on the frame rather than on the sub-plate.  My primer seater always gets powder balls (when using ball powder in the .223, pistol doesn't have this problem) under the primer seater and holding the shuttle from closing all the way.  If a seater stem was mounted on the frame the crud would fall through the hole each time and stay clean.  The problem is in order to keep the primer up you'd have to have a bushing on the sub-plate and the seater stem would be smaller than the diameter of the primer.  I didn't like that idea, so the entire thing got shelved, but if the bushing floated and helped seat the primer it would still work.

I might try to find a lathe and see what I can come up with.

The second idea I had was to use a stem from the Dillon primer swage tool and mount it to the sub-plate where the primer seater goes..  When doing .223 brass I could just deprime, swage and out.  Then trimming and deburring off the press and back for loading.  

Sorry, no complete products or videos, just a couple of ideas I've had.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#2]
What is the blue Dillon box he has attached to the primer feed tube?

ETA: I'm guessing that's the "Primer System Early Warning Kit".  I just marked the white rod that came with the LnL press with a black sharpie.  When the black mark gets close to the top of the tube, it's time to add more primers.

I guess the gizmo he has attached to the powder measure would help make the powder-through expander a little more consistent, but I haven't had any problems with it...

In fact, now that I've put several thousand rounds through my LnL, everything is working pretty smoothly, even the priming system seems to have just started working well without any tinkering, I guess, like putting a few pounds of powder through the measure, it just needed some break-in time.  Maybe some small burrs getting in the way or something.  I did about 1K .223 rounds this weekend without a hitch (at least, no hitches that weren't user error ).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What is the blue Dillon box he has attached to the primer feed tube?

ETA: I'm guessing that's the "Primer System Early Warning Kit". I just marked the white rod that came with the LnL press with a black sharpie.  When the black mark gets close to the top of the tube, it's time to add more primers.

I guess the gizmo he has attached to the powder measure would help make the powder-through expander a little more consistent, but I haven't had any problems with it...

In fact, now that I've put several thousand rounds through my LnL, everything is working pretty smoothly, even the priming system seems to have just started working well without any tinkering, I guess, like putting a few pounds of powder through the measure, it just needed some break-in time.  Maybe some small burrs getting in the way or something.  I did about 1K .223 rounds this weekend without a hitch (at least, no hitches that weren't user error ).

That's what I did, but I have a red section for 15 primers left, and a black section for 5 primers left.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been trying to figure out all the cool things you can do to the LNL AP, and have come up with this so far:

There's the good old glue a dime under the primer seater, and then today I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9LsX0IZko

I've seen a few other things, such as polishing or deburring parts of the press, but what else is out there to trick out the LNL AP?  

Care to share a source for the "good old glue a dime under the primer seater" mod?  I can imagine what it's supposed to do, but I'd like to read more.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9LsX0IZko

Care to share a source for the "good old glue a dime under the primer seater" mod? I can imagine what it's supposed to do, but I'd like to read more.

It will give a little extra push to the primers on their way in, ensuring they are seated all the way.  I've been thinking about doing something similar, though I think a dime is a bit thicker than what's really needed.  We are talking thousandths of an inch here.  I noticed some issues with high primers when I was loading .45ACP.  I'm thinking about getting a thin washer or something and gluing it there.

Doesn't seem to have the same issue with small primers, in my experience (which is notably limited, only had the press for a month or so...)

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]
A piece of old hack saw blade is just about right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top