Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 3:22:40 PM EDT
I'm not sure what I'll do with this actually.  Had some car work done yesterday and I asked for a bucket and here it is.

It's about 2/3 of a bucket actually.  I haven't weighed it but estimate 20-25lbs of lead weight.

Some still has the sticky stuff, some is extra greasy, etc.

I'm breaking out my Lee 2nd and see what it says

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
First thing you have to do is sort it.

Sort out the stick ons from the clip ons.

While you're doing that, you need to cull out the zinc and steel weights.   If a weight looks different, especially if a clip on weight has rivets in it, then toss it on a hard surface.

If the weight is lead, it will hit the concrete with a thud and not bounce much.   If it's made of zinc or steel, it will bounce more and ping when it hits the concrete.

Do you have a turkey fryer or camp stove setup?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any of that.

I also don't see myself casting anything soon.  I was thinking of using the weight to balance my match rifle but I took care of that with some 230gn FMJ bullets I bought at the gun show lol.

I'll probably just sort it out like you said
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't have any of that.

I also don't see myself casting anything soon.  I was thinking of using the weight to balance my match rifle but I took care of that with some 230gn FMJ bullets I bought at the gun show lol.

I'll probably just sort it out like you said

Since you've got time and a relatively small bucket, you can hit any suspect weight with a set of dykes.   The ones made out of lead will cut easily, but the zinc/steel weights will be almost impossible to cut.

Sorting with a pair of dykes will teach you what to look for when looking for zinkers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Do wire cutter pliers (not the cutter on a stripper*)  replicate the dyke function well?

* this thread is going places
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do wire cutter pliers replicate the dyke function well?

Pretty much.    
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the addiction, but FWIW I would get you muy more lbs of WWs before considering casting.  If you buy all the equipment you need to melt and cast with what you have, you'll be behind on cost. just my 2 cents worth.  Again it is a very fun and rewarding hobby, just make sure you can feed the "disease".
skink
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry about the tape and extra grease. It will all burn off when you smelt these weights and pour ingots.

Now go out and look for the following:

cast iron pot - dutch ovens are nice
muffin pan - avoid teflon or other plating - old and rusty is OK
ladle - stainless is fine or cast iron if you can find one
slotted spoon - stainless is fine
turkey fryer - generally speaking, they have higher BTU output than fish cookers
flux - candle wax and/or long wood stick
safety equipment - heavy gloves, apron, face shield, long sleeve shirt, pants, boots

At that point you will have enough equipment to smelt your first batch of lead.

BTW, I started a few months ago much the same way you did. I got the lead, and then I got the equipment.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't have a bunch of lead. You have "not enough lead to justify any investment."

Find more, lots more. When you have 500 pounds or so (and a prospect of getting more as follow on), then start thinking about getting the gear for casting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I know.  

If, say, 14lbs is usable then would still only be 790 9mm bullets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top