Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 6:00:32 AM EDT
im loading the vmax 55gr for my 223, and i do not need to trim, my question is... is it necessary to chamfer the cases to seat the bullet? i forgot to get a deburr tool at the gun shop yesterday... my concern is that it will not seat easily and damage the brass.
thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
With boat tail not so much if you don't need to resize the case at that particular reloading, especially if it's just for blasting ammo. For accuracy, it's better to resize, chamfer and debur for consistent results.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't debur or chamfer - the brass coming off my Dillon RapidTrim has a really nice clean mouth, so the post-trim tumbling is adequate. I do, however, use a Lee Universal Flare die to open up the case mouth a tad to ease bullet entry.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not saying its needed, but I deburr and chamifer every case, even if I don't trim it, just to have a uniform surface.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't debur or chamfer - the brass coming off my Dillon RapidTrim has a really nice clean mouth, so the post-trim tumbling is adequate. I do, however, use a Lee Universal Flare die to open up the case mouth a tad to ease bullet entry.

This makes for inconsistent neck tension, do not flair the case mouth of a rifle case even if you use a crimp because the tension will still be uneven.

Even with a perfectly smooth case mouth like I get from my Hornady Nitride cutter you still need to chamfer the case mouth or it will shave metal on bullets like the 70 & 62gr Barnes TSX(and others I suppose), I tried seating them with just a smooth(no burr inside or out, just a smooth straight cut) and there where tiny flakes of copper around the case mouth when seating the TSX bullets so I got on the Trim Mate and real quick put a VLD chamfer on all the rest of the cases and no more flakes of copper when seating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top