Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 9:45:08 PM EDT
This is the very first time I'm loading after buying all the necessary goods along with utilizing the help of my neighbor who has been loading for some years.  I am loading for my M1 Garand with a new USGI barrel and my LRB M14 with a criterion chrome lined GI profile barrel.  Both the Garand and my LRB are standard rack grade rifles so I'm not looking for sub-moa performance by any means, just a little more consistency than one would get from shooting surplus.  

M1 Garand
* New Winchester .30-06 brass
* CCI #34 Primers
* IMR 4895 Powder
* Sierra SMK 168gr Pills

Will be loaded to a C.O.A.L of 3.30".

Load 1 - 42.4gr
Load 2 - 43.4gr
Load 3 - 45.0gr
Load 4 - 45.5gr
Load 5 - 46.0gr
Load 6 - 46.5gr

LRB M14
* Once fired PMC .308 brass
* CCI #34 Primers
* IMR 4895 Powder
* Sierra SMK 168gr Pills

Loaded to C.O.A.L. of 2.80"

Load 1 - 38.0gr (Is that too low?)
Load 2 - 39.0gr
Load 3 - 39.5gr
Load 4 - 40.0gr
Load 5 - I haven't loaded it yet because I'm not sure if it will be too much.  As quoted from YoteSlayer69 on the M1A side of ARF.com, "IMO 4895 is the go to powder for the M1A. 41.5 grains under a 168 SMK at 2.800 OAL. If your rifle won't shoot that load it's broken."

Using PMC brass and CCI #34 primers, will Load #5 be too hot?  Please feel free to critique my loads.  I'm just trying to be on the safe side since this is the first time I'm putting hand loads through my LRB and the very first time I will be taking my Garand out since I got it back from Warbird.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing looks amiss, but I'm no Garand loading expert, either.

The proof is in the pudding.

5 shots per group, 100 yds, hopefully 5 groups, take a pic and report back.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
In almost 20 years of loading for Garands I've learned that you only need to screw up once to bend the OP Rod.

I think I'd pass on Load 6 - 46.5gr or IMR4895 with the 168gr Sierra MK.

It might be OK, then again it could be an OP Rod beater over time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
45.5 is about as high as I will go with my 168gr garand loads using IMR4895.  They were chrono'ing at high 2600's for me so I backed off on subsequent loads.  I now load them at 44.5.  I only shoot the garand for fun and haven't noticed any change in POI.  Better to err on the safer side.

Of course, your experience may vary.  But if your only shooting for fun I see no reason to tempt anything and maybe skip the 46 and 46.5gr loads?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Load #5 for your Garand smacks the daylights out of the 1000 yd body sil plate quite easily.  I don't know if you want to go that far, but it sure as hell works.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
45.5 is about as high as I will go with my 168gr garand loads using IMR4895.  They were chrono'ing at high 2600's for me so I backed off on subsequent loads.  I now load them at 44.5.  I only shoot the garand for fun and haven't noticed any change in POI.  Better to err on the safer side.

Of course, your experience may vary.  But if your only shooting for fun I see no reason to tempt anything and maybe skip the 46 and 46.5gr loads?

Concur...been loading for M1s for a few years...don't play with loads that hot unless your rocking a Schuster Plug or your don't care about having an Oprod.  FWIW, there is M1 specific load data in the latest Hornady Manual, I might be able to hook you up with a page scan this weekend if you're interested...at work now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concur...been loading for M1s for a few years...don't play with loads that hot unless your rocking a Schuster Plug or your don't care about having an Oprod.  FWIW, there is M1 specific load data in the latest Hornady Manual, I might be able to hook you up with a page scan this weekend if you're interested...at work now.

Thanks to all for the guidance everyone. I have the Hornady manual and I think I was still under the max load according to what the manual stated; however I think the manual was using non-magnum primers. I also referred to "Master Po's" website as well as the NRA loadings posted on some website. I have been reading as much as I can for the past 4 months before diving into reloading. I definitely want to make both rifles last for a long long time. Next on the list of things to buy is a chrono. Any additional info and or criticism will be welcomed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top