Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 10:40:44 AM EDT
Out of curiousity, since match ammo is pretty pricey can I run a few hundered rounds of 147 PMC rounds or something similar through my gun as a break in instead of using match stuff or is it a waste all together?
I also reload but don't have much brass yet. I'm thinking I'll be better off buying 500 rounds of LC brass and 175 SMK's.
Is there a downside for shooting the stuff mentioned at the top?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Out of curiousity, since match ammo is pretty pricey can I run a few hundered rounds of 147 PMC rounds or something similar through my gun as a break in instead of using match stuff or is it a waste all together?
I also reload but don't have much brass yet. I'm thinking I'll be better off buying 500 rounds of LC brass and 175 SMK's.
Is there a downside for shooting the stuff mentioned at the top?

My '05 10FP LE2b took 700 rounds to start shooting ~.75 MOA, down from 1.25 MOA, believe it or not.  

I'd shoot what you can afford, but I went with the good stuff after the first 20 rds of Tubbs Final Finish bullets.   I reload and it was easier to swallow.

Life's too short to be shooting shitty ammo.

I'd use some PMC or Rem or whatever for the shoot/clean cycle, if you choose to go that route and then start banging away with the pimpy shit.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Know of any cheap stuff that has brass that's worth reloading afterwards?
I have 100 rounds of 175 FGMM and only shot 40 so far. People keep saying that Federal brass isn't the best for reloading...
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My friend and I have Remington, Winchester, Hornady match brass that has over 8-10 reloads on it without any issues and we load 168gr SMK at 2825fps.

My current set of brass has about 5 reloads on it with the same reciepe and has had no issues.. I am using hornady match.  

Mike.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Know of any cheap stuff that has brass that's worth reloading afterwards?
I have 100 rounds of 175 FGMM and only shot 40 so far. People keep saying that Federal brass isn't the best for reloading...
Thanks.

I've got a bunch of FGMM 308 and I've been running a batch of 25 that are on their 5th cycle with no loose primer pockets.  I wouldn't pay big bucks for it now ($30/100 1x) but if I could get some cheap, I'd load it up.

Some people feel that the reason that FGMM is so consistent across a broad range of rifles is due to the 'softness' of the brass, allowing for a more uniform release of the bullet.

If you have it and can get 3-5 cycles out of it, you're ahead of the curve, in my mind's eye.

Hell, I'm still cycling some LC 762 brass that I bought as 1x from Midway in 1995!  I'll shoot anything until it's scrap.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
For me and my Savage I shot the first 200 of various match which consisted mostly of FGMM and BHM, and about the time I hit 600 down the tube I started to reload and used good match bullets, it does make a difference in groups
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top