Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2010 7:17:26 AM EDT
well it only took about 3 mo. the brighter side is i now have a shit ton of brass
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Just out of curiosity, how much is a shit ton and how are you moving it? The auctions intrigue me but I dont shoot anywhere near enough to justify a purchase that large.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
well technically around 3 tons,you can arrange freight pickup with GL
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
well it only took about 3 mo. the brighter side is i now have a shit ton of brass

So, are you planning on off loading any of that shit ton? I'm in the market for a butt load of LC brass for the right price and depending on where in IN you are, I can come pick it up!
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
i will be posting in EE
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you get the brass fron Crane?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#6]
yes,and two other bases

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yes,and two other bases
Quoted:

I have always been told Crane takes some of the best care of their brass........namely out of the weather storage.  Curious if you learn the same.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes,and two other bases
Quoted:

I have always been told Crane takes some of the best care of their brass........namely out of the weather storage.  Curious if you learn the same.

From everything I've see it sits outside in dumpsters covered with tarps (if they have enough tarps). I wouldn't say that it's "out of the weather", but it may be better than not being covered at all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes,and two other bases
Quoted:

From everything I've see it sits outside in dumpsters covered with tarps (if they have enough tarps). I wouldn't say that it's "out of the weather", but it may be better than not being covered at all.

Don't count on it. The tarps have many holes and the brass I got had a lot of water in it. Also as a side note the guys that work at the crane site are jerks.  I talked with them a few times prior to picking up my brass. (I picked it up) I explained what I was bringing and how I was transporting. They aggreed to load it using the dump hoppers. I got there and they flat out refused to load it for me. I had to shovel by hand 10,000 lbs of brass by hand myself with a shovel. Took all day. As far as I am concerned those guys can go fuck thenselves. Sorry for the lanuage but the experience really left a bad taste in my mouth. I happened to be sick at the time and they could give a shit less.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't count on it. The tarps have many holes and the brass I got had a lot of water in it. Also as a side note the guys that work at the crane site are jerks.  I talked with them a few times prior to picking up my brass. (I picked it up) I explained what I was bringing and how I was transporting. They aggreed to load it using the dump hoppers. I got there and they flat out refused to load it for me. I had to shovel by hand 10,000 lbs of brass by hand myself with a shovel. Took all day. As far as I am concerned those guys can go fuck thenselves. Sorry for the lanuage but the experience really left a bad taste in my mouth. I happened to be sick at the time and they could give a shit less.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience... I've always had very good dealings with Rodger, who is most likely who you dealt with. The only catch is that he is very busy. He takes care of most of the GL stuff in the entire state so he isn't around very often and when he is he's very busy. I've found that a lot of patience with his schedule goes a long way. But I don't blame you for being upset since you called ahead and talked about it and they gave the impression that everything would be ok. I do know that he doesn't always do as he says he will but that's likely a result of him being stretched so thin.

Yes, I realize that tarps are not considered, "out of the weather", I guess I should have put more emphasis on "may" be better than nothing at all.

BTW, for anybody that doesn't know how the GL process works, they can't list a brass auction until it gets down to the scrap-yard to weigh it. After weighing it, it will sit around for several weeks until they get the time to list it, and its normally listed for about a month before the auction actually opens, then you have to wait for the EUC to clear and pickup. That basically means that your brass is going to sit out in the weather a minimum of 2-3 months but likely more in the line of 3-6 months.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience... I've always had very good dealings with Rodger, who is most likely who you dealt with. The only catch is that he is very busy. He takes care of most of the GL stuff in the entire state so he isn't around very often and when he is he's very busy. I've found that a lot of patience with his schedule goes a long way. But I don't blame you for being upset since you called ahead and talked about it and they gave the impression that everything would be ok. I do know that he doesn't always do as he says he will but that's likely a result of him being stretched so thin.

Yes, I realize that tarps are not considered, "out of the weather", I guess I should have put more emphasis on "may" be better than nothing at all.

BTW, for anybody that doesn't know how the GL process works, they can't list a brass auction until it gets down to the scrap-yard to weigh it. After weighing it, it will sit around for several weeks until they get the time to list it, and its normally listed for about a month before the auction actually opens, then you have to wait for the EUC to clear and pickup. That basically means that your brass is going to sit out in the weather a minimum of 2-3 months but likely more in the line of 3-6 months.

I appreciate the info. Yes it was Roger and yes not only did he give me the impression but told me flat out that he would load it. No guessing, or question about it. If I thought for a minute there was a doubt I would have taken someone with me.  Maybe he was busy with paperwork, ut there was no other customers that I saw in the 8 hours I was there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i will be posting in EE

I'll keep an eye open for it.

Quoted:
That basically means that your brass is going to sit out in the weather a minimum of 2-3 months but likely more in the line of 3-6 months.

OK - Maybe a stupid question but... So what? It's brass so it's not going to rust. Worst case I can imagine is it will be more oxidized requiring a little more cleaning if you want pretty brass or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i will be posting in EE

I'll keep an eye open for it.

Quoted:
That basically means that your brass is going to sit out in the weather a minimum of 2-3 months but likely more in the line of 3-6 months.

OK - Maybe a stupid question but... So what? It's brass so it's not going to rust. Worst case I can imagine is it will be more oxidized requiring a little more cleaning if you want pretty brass or am I missing something?

Brass weighs XXX amount. Wet brass weighs more than XXX amount. When it's weighed when wet you are paying for some water and not brass. This then gives you a false amount of what you are actually getting.

And brass when wet for a long time turns black and green.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
well roger is who i am dealing with,so far he seems like an ok guy to me hopefully i want have any problems
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I appreciate the info. Yes it was Roger and yes not only did he give me the impression but told me flat out that he would load it. No guessing, or question about it. If I thought for a minute there was a doubt I would have taken someone with me.  Maybe he was busy with paperwork, ut there was no other customers that I saw in the 8 hours I was there.

I would have come down and helped you load it had I known you were down there shoveling brass... but I guess its a bit late for that now...
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#16]
So whats up with the deposits on the auctions? Is it refundable if you don't win? What if the selling price is less than the deposit?

I have bought several items with an EUC but never messed with a deposit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So whats up with the deposits on the auctions? Is it refundable if you don't win? What if the selling price is less than the deposit?

I have bought several items with an EUC but never messed with a deposit.
i think it depends on the size of the lot you are bidding on,i didn't have to make any deposit.
you do have to pay in full rather quickly and then wait for your euc approval,it took around 3 mo. for my approval

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#18]
hmmmmm all the brass auctions I have seen has deposits. You got lucky on that deal. I'm sure this will pay for your hobbies for a couple years. Things on that site can go cheap. I bet my dad has made 12k or so at least off of that site. I have made around 5 probably
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Well if you are going to have to shovel the stuff, let me know. Will help a fellow reloader out.

can I keep what I can carry????  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#20]
well i got all of it in,crane was kind of a pain in the butt or i should roger was,no problems with jim
the brass looks good we have been sorting it for a couple of days its almost all LC 09 and not to much smashed ones.

the guys over at fort leonard wood are a lot nicer and its not as much of a hassle to get in and out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
well i got all of it in,crane was kind of a pain in the butt or i should roger was,no problems with jim
the brass looks good we have been sorting it for a couple of days its almost all LC 09 and not to much smashed ones.
the guys over at fort leonard wood are a lot nicer and its not as much of a hassle to get in and out.

Please tell me more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]
What % are blanks, and unuseable??
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#23]
well nothing from when we went to pickup the brass,he just wasn't very friendly and he refused to let us on base to inspect before pickup.
this was our first purchase and i wanted to get an idea of what we needed to haul it
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#24]
we have sorted about 1/3 of it,so far less than a 1 gallon bucket of smashed ones and about a 5 gallon bucket of ones that the mouth needs repair
not much blanks maybe 20 or so did have a live 223 blank mixed in

Quoted:

What % are blanks, and unuseable??

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top