Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2010 4:04:16 PM EDT
Where can i find some data for loading sub-sonic for the .223?
Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a discussion about this recently on ammosmith.com  There was a link to a magazine article.  Hodgdon lists one load with only a tiny bit of powder, Clays IIRC.

I would like to know if it is feasible to lighten up the spring on an AR to allow it to function with sub-sonic ammo..  I have some back yard vermin to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There was a discussion about this recently on ammosmith.com  There was a link to a magazine article.  Hodgdon lists one load with only a tiny bit of powder, Clays IIRC.

I would like to know if it is feasible to lighten up the spring on an AR to allow it to function with sub-sonic ammo..  I have some back yard vermin to deal with.

Lightening up the spring will do nothing....there isnt enough gas pressure to operate the system....U could probably severly modify yer gun to work with sub loads, light weight carrier, main spring, open up gas port might work....Or u could invest in a 22lr conversion kit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I created some loads with 50 grain Varmint Gernades and approx 7-8 grains of Varget.  OAL I cannot recall but it was similar to a factory load.  Just adjust your powder until you get what you want out of the round.  Alot of guys adjust OAL but that creates a whole new load.  Keep it simple and work on the powder.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I found this thread on page 2. People ask this question all the time, and give the same reasons. Varmints, squirrels, etc. Having been interested in this concept in the past, I did some research. My conclusion on the subject is that if you want to shoot subsonic .223 then you might as well be shooting .22LR 60gr Aguila SSS.

jonblack
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
<snip>

Short answer: No. It has been tried with great effort to get the AR to operate on subsonic .223. If you came up with a repeatable working system you could probably retire.

jonblack

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found this thread on page 2. People ask this question all the time, and give the same reasons. Varmints, squirrels, etc. Having been interested in this concept in the past, I did some research. My conclusion on the subject is that if you want to shoot subsonic .223 then you might as well be shooting .22LR 60gr Aguila SSS.

jonblack

Here are a few other threads (found by searching ".223 subsonic") that you might find useful. I just realized that you were the OP in the thread I linked to above, which is a dupe of this thread. Did you not find the info you needed in that thread?

.223 Subsonics
Subsonic .223 is serious business

jonblack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top