Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 12:02:21 PM EDT
Would there be any safety risk of converting small rifle primer brass to use large rifle primers?  I mean, if headspace were correct, the primer cup couldn't go anywhere, and 52Kpsi against a large cup shouldn't be any different than against a small cup, right?  

If it would be do-able, does any company make a large rifle size drill bit or reamer that would work?  I don't think the standard reloading reamer would be up to the challenge.

Thanks for any opinions in advance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
dibs on your guns and ammo
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Some brass over the years has been made w/ both large and small primers, but I don't know why you would want to try this, even if you have a shit load of large rifle, where are going to get load data?

Not to mention the safety aspect.

I would suggest not doing this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Suggest that you find someone in your area that would be willing to swap small primers for large, even if you had to add a couple of bucks would be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
dibs on your guns and ammo

Dibs on his reloading supplies and equipment and storage containers as well.  

Honestly I have never heard of anyone doing this, offhand I wouldn't think that would be a very wise idea, not to mention the problem of finding load data.I would also think that the case life would be severly shortened as well.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
bench rest shooter claim to get better accuracy with small rifle primer brass versus magnum or large rifle primed brass
so why want to convert the brass
why not just sell some of the LR primers or hord them like other people do
have an abundance of LR primers?
to much time on your hands?
over thinking things again?

please do tell
inquiring minds want to know
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would there be any safety risk of converting small rifle primer brass to use large rifle primers?  I mean, if headspace were correct, the primer cup couldn't go anywhere, and 52Kpsi against a large cup shouldn't be any different than against a small cup, right?  

If it would be do-able, does any company make a large rifle size drill bit or reamer that would work?  I don't think the standard reloading reamer would be up to the challenge.

Thanks for any opinions in advance.

Suppose you can "safely" do this. My God man, how much is your time and your trouble worth?!?! Brass is cheap and available, what you are proposing is labor intensive w/o the safety issue. I let the manufacture's establish the primer size and simply work with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]

??
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't fuck around like that.

Just get the right brass and/or primers and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
That would be removing a lot of material from the case head.  I would think that it would weaken it greatly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Please tell us why you want to do this?

Caliber and gun?

Another thumbs down from me.

Anyway, welcome to Arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#13]
It is seriously not worth the time or effort......or the safety risk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If you remove material to enlarge the primer cup, you have weakened the structure of the case head, particularly in the radial direction at a point where it is unsupported by the chamber.  Inserted primer cups do not restore any radial strength to the case head.  So, by modifying the case structure you have reduced the safety margin, for the same powder load and bullet.

Take a look at LazyEngineer's photos on another thread here.  Those bulged case heads are a clue for you to study.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell, go for it.  Sometimes natural selection needs a little help.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#16]
NO

Even the most expensive brass around would be darn cheep compared to the time you would invest in doing this conversion.

Financial end of this deal aside I doubt most cases made for small primers would have much strength left after you drilled or reamed them out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top