Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2010 5:27:14 PM EDT
I was given a bunch of Lake City 02, 04 and 05 5.56 brass in excellent condition.  I tumbled all of it for a couple of hours several months ago, but some of the cases still have sealant stains or something dark on them (not from annealing).  Any ideas about cleaning up further without too much fuss?  I've seen commercially reloaded LC brass look like shiny new commercial cases.  What's the secret?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
How old is your tumbling media, and are you using any brass polish with it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Walnut media is well worn I suppose.  I was using Midway Polish.  Still cleans other cases well but won't get these dark stains off LC brass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Try some Lemishine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try some Lemishine.

+1

Soak in Lemishine for several hours. I use 1/4 cup per gallon but someone may suggest another ratio. Any stains may turn pink, but they will more-or-less be removed with a few hours of tumbling.

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
tumble with stainless steel media in a rotary tumbler for 3.5 hours.  It'll come out looking like brand new brass from the factory, inside and out, including the PP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Lemishine. Stuff works great!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I sell military brass on the side. If it is the staining I am thinking of it is dark black. I find these cases in
the barrels with a lot of blanks and they do not clean up with tumbling as you found out. For cleaning
use the lemishine (citric acid) or try 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water, and soak for a day. Then
let dry and tumble, not all cases will clean up but most will.

As a side note LC brass seems to stain easier and does not clean up as well as FC in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I sell military brass on the side. If it is the staining I am thinking of it is dark black. I find these cases in
the barrels with a lot of blanks and they do not clean up with tumbling as you found out. For cleaning
use the lemishine (citric acid) or try 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water, and soak for a day. Then
let dry and tumble, not all cases will clean up but most will.

As a side note LC brass seems to stain easier and does not clean up as well as FC in my opinion.

Welcome to the forum from another Michigander.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the fella issue is with residual tar in the neck (neck sealer)...

For that, I would take old walnut media, and wet it down witih trans cooler flush (white mineral spirit with alcohol mix) and let it run.. the solvent will disolve the tar and soak into the walnut.

Works especially well with pistol cases whose bullet been glued in, and the funnel on DILLON has tendency to stick when flaring pistol cases..

I have cans of  the stuff under the Hyundai part label, we use it when we install re-man trans, use it to flush the A/T oil cooler and lines.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I tumbled the brass cases in question in corncob media for a couple of hours.  They look much better but still have some black stains on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top