Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:16:00 AM EDT
I would like to get a turret press.  I have a RCBS single stage, and I just sold off my progressive press, since I got tired of it (loadmaster)  Since I do a lot of small batches with many calibers I was thinking of the lee classic turret 4 hole press.  I had one of the older 3 hole lee turrets a long time ago, and it seemed to work pretty good.  With the cheap removable heads it would make caliber changes a snap, and it would be faster than a traditional turret press because of the auto indexing.  I was also looking at the RCBS turret and the Redding T-7 press  Any thoughts/experiences on any of these presses?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The Redding T-7 is a very nice press. Compared one side be side with a Lyman, and the Redding was far superior. Ultimatereloader.com has some nice vids on the Redding press.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I actually think an auto indexing turret is slower than a manual one unless you are doing small batches, since it's still faster to do one simple task repeatedly than changing tasks.

The Lee Classic Cast is a good press though, solid cast iron, and can be uses either auto indexing or not.  It is also much sturdier than the older aluminum version.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I actually think an auto indexing turret is slower than a manual one unless you are doing small batches, since it's still faster to do one simple task repeatedly than changing tasks.

The Lee Classic Cast is a good press though, solid cast iron, and can be uses either auto indexing or not.  It is also much sturdier than the older aluminum version.

You think its faster to change out the brass case every time?  I would think its faster when you dont have to pick up the same piece of brass 3-4 times per loaded round.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would like to get a turret press.  I have a RCBS single stage, and I just sold off my progressive press, since I got tired of it (loadmaster)  Since I do a lot of small batches with many calibers I was thinking of the lee classic turret 4 hole press.  I had one of the older 3 hole lee turrets a long time ago, and it seemed to work pretty good.  With the cheap removable heads it would make caliber changes a snap, and it would be faster than a traditional turret press because of the auto indexing.  I was also looking at the RCBS turret and the Redding T-7 press  Any thoughts/experiences on any of these presses?

I have the LEE Classic 4 hole turret.  It works well.  Nothing fancy, but it's dependable and caliber changes are fairly quick.  In all honesty, it's not much faster than single stage, but you do gain time on having to remove and set dies.  To change a caliber, you remove the powder measure, then remove the turret and replace it with a new one and re-install the powder measure.  Takes about a minute or two.  Then switch shellholders and primer rams (takes 20 seconds) and you're GTG.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think its faster to change out the brass case every time?  I would think its faster when you dont have to pick up the same piece of brass 3-4 times per loaded round.

True, but with the LEE turret you have to change from feeding brass to feeding a bullet every two strokes of the ram.  I suspect you make that up on doing repetitive motions faster.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Have a 4 hole Lee Turret. Each head is caliber specific and holds sizer-decapper die, powder drop, bullet seat, and fcd die. I size and deprime in runs like most do. If loading progressive turret the sizer die is a needless stroke of ram. So re-thinking decision for Lee Turret, I'd buy a 3 hole and keep 3 different caliber (9mm, 40S&W, 45acp) sizer dies in one head. Makes more sense since you wouldn't need to spin that head anyway and would make every stroke of ram count of three head loaded with powder drop, bullet seat and fcd. Just my .11 cents.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the 4-hole classic press.  Use it to load .45, 9mm and .223.  I think it's great.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Redding T-7 is a very nice press. Compared one side be side with a Lyman, and the Redding was far superior. Ultimatereloader.com has some nice vids on the Redding press.

+1 on the Redding.  

I broke a Lyman after about 8 years of use.  My Redding is much heavier duty, and has more stations on the head, and with proper adjustment, has zero slop.  I load ammo as accurate as any single stage on it, with less effort.  Great press.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Lee 4 hole turret and the plastic part that turns the rod that turns the turret broke, I had to turn it by hand, that wasn't a big deal though, I got pretty fast with it, it's a pretty decent press for the money. I've since upgraded to a Hornady L N L and love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top