Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:49:37 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a place where I might find used progressive presses for sale?  I'd like to get a Hornady LNL AP or a Dillon, but the price for a new one is prohibitive.  While I'd like to drop $800 to get one of these up and running, it simply isn't going to happen.

Barring getting something used, if you had to choose between the Lee Pro 1000 or the Lee Loadmaster, which would be better?  Yes, I know they can be quirky.  I also know that my wallet isn't too quirky when it isn't being used to pay the outrageous price for a Dillon or Hornady.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought I made out like a bandit when I got a Dillon 550 and RCBS Rockchucker in an estate sale for a hundred bucks. But add in the cost of all the other things I needed; Dies, Scale, Micrometer, Caliber Conversion kits, toolheads, Tumbler, Swager, Case Prep stuff and it adds up to big money, another 800 dollars so far. I imagine you can find little things cheaper. I'm reloading 308, 5.56, 45 ACP and 9mm.

Also having to mail order powder, pride and components are expensive, too. Especially with a 25 dollar HAZMAT fee, so you need to buy in bulk to make it worthwhile.

I would check estate sales and Craigslist. I think a lot more people are getting into reloading now and the demand is up in the used market for progressive presses.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any lines on used presses but I will say that the price isn't outrageous on a LNL or a Dillon. Both are capable of putting out high quality ammo at a pretty decent pace. When you can run 5 processes at one time, and do it quickly, it makes your time much more worth it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to be able to find a good deal every now and then off the local freebie ads.  Now all I see are guys with want ads for reloading gear.  If you're quick you might find a deal on Craigslist, but with so much competition, it seems it's more a sellers market right now.   I just used to scan the local freebie ad sheets and run into deals now and again, but it has been years since I have gotten any reloading gear.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
check the EE I see them on there from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a LEE loadmaster....I like it alot....for the price it can't be beat!  Once I worked through the quirks it cranks out ammo with the best of them.  A few tips to help if you do find yerself with one:

-Manually operate the primer slider with yer finger....this keeps the system from getting jammed up...basically as the shell plate indexes over and the case activates the primer slider to pick up a new primer, manually manipulate the primer slider to slide the new primer under the case to be primed.
-The case feeder often has issues....I have found a very thin layer of VERY thick grease will help ad friction, which helps operate the case feeder.  Mil grade water pump grease works well, or that found for heavy machinary.

aside from those issues....I'm very happy with my press.  I have cranked out thousands of rounds of pistol and rifle ammo.  I have never had a squib load or any other MAJOR issue that a quick inspection of my loaded ammo doesnt catch.  An occasional backwards primer (Tho rare now that I manually operate the primer system), and the occasional crunched/sideways primer (Also rare with manual operation of the primer system, and more due to crimped brass that hasnt been properly prepped).
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HERE

Interesting, although I'd really prefer auto indexing.

If the Hornady came with some method of case feeding without spending an addition $300 for a case feeder, I'd already have one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget to check out e-bay either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't forget to check out e-bay either.

Already have, all they have is a small number of new presses.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:19:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Craigslist and other local free ads.  Metallic presses get snapped up immediately, so a constant watch is needed.  You need to start asking everyone you know, too, as there are a surprising number of presses sitting unused all over the country.

I've been watching craigslist for a while...nothing.  It's looking more and more like a Lee.  I hope I don't regret it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't have any lines on used presses but I will say that the price isn't outrageous on a LNL or a Dillon. Both are capable of putting out high quality ammo at a pretty decent pace. When you can run 5 processes at one time, and do it quickly, it makes your time much more worth it.

Gonna have to disagree with that one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Craigslist and other local free ads.  Metallic presses get snapped up immediately, so a constant watch is needed.  You need to start asking everyone you know, too, as there are a surprising number of presses sitting unused all over the country.

Your Craigs List must be a little more easy going then Denver's....The flagging Nazies kill anything even remotely related to firearms in short order here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Craigs List must be a little more easy going then Denver's....The flagging Nazies kill anything even remotely related to firearms in short order here.

Same thing here in Chicagoland. I actually got hate mail from some douchebag asking if I was retarded for posting brass up three times in one week. If I give it a rest for a month, then start again, they don't catch me for a while...but when they catch me, they check several times a day, just to flag the ad. Read the rules, it clearly states anything firearm related.

James, I was in the same boat as you...you're looking for a Porsche at VW prices. It ain't going to happen. Sure, once and a blue moon, a good deal comes by...but while you're waiting for that, you could have been reloading on a new press. Just save your pennies while keeping your eyes open for a good deal...chances are you'll buy new long before that good deal comes along.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Same thing here in Chicagoland. I actually got hate mail from some douchebag asking if I was retarded for posting brass up three times in one week. If I give it a rest for a month, then start again, they don't catch me for a while...but when they catch me, they check several times a day, just to flag the ad. Read the rules, it clearly states anything firearm related.

James, I was in the same boat as you...you're looking for a Porsche at VW prices. It ain't going to happen. Sure, once and a blue moon, a good deal comes by...but while you're waiting for that, you could have been reloading on a new press. Just save your pennies while keeping your eyes open for a good deal...chances are you'll buy new long before that good deal comes along.

I really think it's more like I'm looking for a Toyota Camry at Toyota Camry prices.  What I'm finding are VWs at VW prices, Camrys at Ferrari prices, and Ferraris at large scale real estate prices

ETA: I think the issue might be how I see reloading.  Most people love reloading.  I don't.  I reload so I can do what I actually want to do, and that's shoot.  Reloading, for me, is a chore that has to be accomplished so I can shoot.  The less I have to touch the press, the less I have to handle stuff, the happier I am.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HERE

If the Hornady came with some method of case feeding without spending an addition $300 for a case feeder, I'd already have one.

Auto indexing doesn't really do that much for you.  I, and just about everyone I know, run a Dillon 550.  Used equipment isn't real common.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HERE

Auto indexing doesn't really do that much for you.  I, and just about everyone I know, run a Dillon 550.  Used equipment isn't real common.

It does if you have case feeder and bullet feeders.  While I may not start out with these, I will most certainly have them before it's all over with...and auto index will matter at that point.

And see my above post.  Reloading isn't a hobby for me.  It's a chore I engage in that enables me to do indulge my real hobby: shooting.

If I could figure out a way to turn a press on and have it run itself without even touching the damned thing I most certainly would opt for that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my 650 off ebay with tumbler, scale, powder, bullets, brass, extra tool heads, spare parts, powder check dies, dies for a bunch of calibers, primers etc. for $600!  I have added a case feeder, bullet tray and have bought a single stage and a ton of stuff because I like reloading now.

In my opinion you are being penny wise pound foolish if you are willing to get a machine that you say are known to be quirky.  You don't want to even touch the press, why would you want to tinker?  What are you reloading and how do you plan on trimming?  

I can reload much cheaper than buying new but it will take me a very long time to break even with all the stuff I have bought for my reloading hobby.  If you just want to shoot find something to shoot for cheap and you will have no regrets.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got my 650 off ebay with tumbler, scale, powder, bullets, brass, extra tool heads, spare parts, powder check dies, dies for a bunch of calibers, primers etc. for $600!  I have added a case feeder, bullet tray and have bought a single stage and a ton of stuff because I like reloading now.

In my opinion you are being penny wise pound foolish if you are willing to get a machine that you say are known to be quirky.  You don't want to even touch the press, why would you want to tinker?  What are you reloading and how do you plan on trimming?  

I can reload much cheaper than buying new but it will take me a very long time to break even with all the stuff I have bought for my reloading hobby.  If you just want to shoot find something to shoot for cheap and you will have no regrets.

1) I don't mind tinkering with it if it stays running smoothly once the tinker phase is done.
2) I'm loading 45 ACP, 9mm, 357 magnum, .223, and 7mm Remington Magnum.  I find that 45, 9mm, and 357 will split their case necks before they need trimming.  I'm using an RCBS X-die with .223, so trimming is avoided on that count beyond the initial trim.  I load 7mm Mag on my Rock Chucker.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought I made out like a bandit when I got a Dillon 550 and RCBS Rockchucker in an estate sale for a hundred bucks.

Dude you are a bandit.  Nice score.  Exactly the reason I go to auctions and estate sales in the hopes of scoring something like this.  Also the same reason I am leaving all of my gun stuff to my son in my will too

I see them in my area on local forums but you have to be fast as too many guys like us out there.  I just missed a killer deal on a MEC 20ga reloader the other day due to being out of state.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell with it.  I'm getting the Hornady.  To get the cheapest Lee (Pro 1000) and everything I need will cost near $150....hard to justify that kind of money for a cheapy press when $375 will buy one so much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top